• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't find anywhere else to post this...

bunny foo foo

Alpha Buck
Sorry if it's in the wrong place. :oops:

Milo is about 7 weeks old, and he has wee'd on his new blanket. He is way too young to be neutered, and I 'think' he too young to be sexed, so I'm not even sure if it's a boy or a girl. Point is, is he too little to be pottytrained? And is it possible when they're this young?

Side note- Should rabbits have salt licks? Milo is always licking my hand, and my mom and I both think it's because he likes the salt. He does it for minutes at a time. :shock:

Last edited:
He/she may get the idea regarding a litter tray.

Esme came to live with me when she was about 8 or 9 weeks old and when I bought a tiny litter tray the pet shop said she was far too young to want to use it ..... She used it to wee in from the very first day :D So no, some rabbits will get the idea very young.

I'm pretty sure it should be possible to sex a rabbit at that age too.

Salt licks are necessary. Your bunny may well just be grooming you rather than being attracted by salt (could be wrong there) but all the information I've read recently says not to bother with salt licks.

Hello

At 7 weeks your rabbit can be sexed.

A rabbit does not need any added vitamins or salt licks if he/she has a proper diet. Lots of quality hay, veggies and a small amount of a good quality pellet. If you start your bun off at this age getting lots of fibre and the right amount of protein for a growing youngster, you shouldn't need additives.

You can start to litter train quite young. Most buns will start to litter where there is somewhere to dig and chew. So a box filled with a litter and hay is a great idea.

Baby buns can be sexed from day one. Where did you get him from?

Also, they can be litter trained when weaned. He'll be set back now he's left his mum. He's very young to have left (but may have been well developed.)

What I'd worry about is the fact that he hasn't been sexed.....I wouldn't have much faith in whoever you got him from.

for the first week i had locksley he did have a few tiny wee accidents out of his litter tray until he got the idea of what the litter tray was for, i used puppy training pads for him, as i had when mowgli was poorly, locks did chew at them sometimes, but it made it easier then having to keep washing towels,blankets etc

give pebbles time, he is still only very young, he will get the hang of it in no time you'll see :wave:

I got Milo when he was 8 weeks old. (Rabbits should only be taken away from their mother when they are this old, so it's a shame your bun is only 7 weeks :?)

Milo had a lot of trouble learning to potty train. That's part of the pain with baby rabbits. I've actually sworn never to get a baby rabbit again, as they are farrrrr too much work!

I would set up litter boxes, but he never really picked a corner. You need to soak up any urine that is done outside the box and put the soaked up urine in the box. Also, you have to spot clean with a half water, half vinegar solution so the scent of the urine doesn't linger.

I also put a lot of fresh hay in his box, and that seemed to help. But to be honest, he wasn't truly "litter perfect" until he was 6 months old. Even after being neutered, it took him awhile to settle down.

(And as a side note, Milo was originally sexed as a female, but that turned out to be wrong when his plums descended at 9 months! My vet even sexed him wrong. :shock: I would keep your eyes on him just to make sure everything is... accounted for. :lol:)

I hate to gloat but I had no probs training my two. Benson was 16 weeks and Little Lola was 9 weeks. They more or less trained themselves. Peed once in corner, scooped up soiled woodshavings and put in large corner littertray and the rest was history. I'd like to say it was down to my knowledge and experience but I'm very much a rookie!

What I have learned from trial and error is that 1. mine don't like a small litter tray - they like to spend time in there, eating hay, contemplating whatever it is bunnies contemplate, reading a magazine...... theirs is a corner one about 18 inches wide. I know this as I tried a smaller one downstairs in their condo and they didn't use it but peed beside it. When I got a second larger one - hopped right in and use it regularly. 2. if I, for some reason, don't get it changed soon enough for them they don't like sitting in a dirty litter tray and will go beside it, in a mucky protest if you will!!

Hope the wee man/lady gets the hang of it - maybe you'll be lucky like me!

Back