• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help, they're driving me mad!

jessica*rabbit

Warren Scout
In November our well behaved, litter trained little lad started to get a bit lonely, during the day at home, he lived in a hutch, which was always open and the run of the large kitchen (doesnt go up the cooking end, likes to play under the table and chairs)

so we went and bought him a female (unspayed, we're saving our money to get her done) so we got him done and introduced them, they love each other, no agression etc.

anyway, we removed the cumbersome hutch, in exchange for a dog cage, merely so that i could lock them away at night, when i have to hoover, or when the kitchen and front doors open, its huge, but i wouldnt keep them in there for more than a a night.

anyway, since we've had little miss, my carpet has been torn to shreds, she keeps getting into the airing cupboard and ripping out foam from behind the boiler, she digs up the litter tray all over the floor, poos and wees where she likes, and now hes started to do it aswell, litter training out the window! she will also tip her food bowl over so food goes everyhwere and we end up hoovering more than they eat..

im starting to dread coming home to see what destruction has been done, i think theyve worked out how to get on the windowsil now as all my ornaments have been moved, and forget your socks if they're left on the airer, theyll be chewed up! i buy them toys, have got them cardboard boxes to play with, loo rolls, treats etc not interested!

i think two pitbulls would be less hassle... Im sick of retelling their stories with fondness now, im actually at my wits end :(

anyone got any ideas?

In the short term get them a large puppy run to make them a pen around 6ft by 4ft minimum....that means the destruction is limited when you are not in the house...

long term netuering will hopefully cut down on a lot of the mess, keeping her confined to a pen will also help after as it is less far for her to get to a litter tray and so hopefully she will remeber to use it. I have to warn you that you may never be poo free but at least pee should go in the right spot.

give all water in a large ceramic dog bowl and ditto any vegetables or pellets. remove the bowl when they have finished which should be a few minutes for pellets as they should probably not be having more than a handful depending on her age.

Last edited:
yeah i do need to, she 2 and a half, and i rescued her, its just so expensive and especially at christmas, but in the coming months i will book her in. will have to get them a puppy pen, might put it in the large alcove under the stairs which has brick floor so no destroyed carpet. The landlords coming round on tuesday to inspect, he going to go mad :( x

I know it sounds cruel but you need to reduce their space until they learn to use their potty again. Once they know the dog crate is for doing their business in then let them out again. A puppy pen will be well worth the money to stop your things getting damaged!

I agree, she needs neutering asap :) xXx

It might actually save you money in the long run on destroyed items to get her spayed..... :p

Is there an area of your house they could go in where they would be less likely to do damage until she's done? I guess we're fairly lucky as we already had a spare room 'pet-proofed' with laminate floor and white covered the Plywood on the walls so there's not a great deal Jack can do to the room!

I also have a baby-gate on the room so that I can keep an eye on what Jack is doing without him being able to run amock.

i have looked at some puppy pens on ebay, will also drop by freecycle, but yeah, i think shes been given to much freedom, and hes thought "well if she can get away with it, so can i!"

x

Pearl used to be mega destructive, she loved to dig and she killed a cat basket totally.... as much as you dont want to hear this... be careful what you wiah for hun.. id give anything to hear pearl digging or detroying stuff again :cry::cry::cry:

i think its a very endearing part to rabbits, i didnt leave them to free range unsupervised tho, pearl could only get away with destroying stuff i allowed her to.. not very houseproud tbh :oops::lol::lol:

puppy pen would deffo save your sanity :thumb:

i have looked at some puppy pens on ebay, will also drop by freecycle, but yeah, i think shes been given to much freedom, and hes thought "well if she can get away with it, so can i!"

x

Make sure you get a pen that's high enough - it's false economy to get a cheaper one which may be too low. Jack can jump approx 30" with no problems at all and could jump higher than that if he really wanted to. :) xx

Make sure you get a pen that's high enough - it's false economy to get a cheaper one which may be too low. Jack can jump approx 30" with no problems at all and could jump higher than that if he really wanted to. :) xx

i have one thats 24" high i can step into it and i cover it with a mesh from homebase.. cheap and they stay in ;)

i have one thats 24" high i can step into it and i cover it with a mesh from homebase.. cheap and they stay in ;)

That's why I originally purchased a 24" one so I could step over it lol. (I bought it for my piggies!) I hate mesh though and really wouldn't want to be bothered with it unless I really had to. If I was buying one for bunnies I'd just go for a higher one.

x

Hi,just wanted to say zooplus online do brill playpens that are high and fold easily for about £35 ,good luck .I know how you feel ,my two girls got spayed on fri as they have destroyed their room :shock:

Back