• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good alternative for woodshavings?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I'm actually going mad with the mess! There are woodshavings EVERYWHERE, including in my hair! I really think I need an alternative bedding in the cage. Hay is just as bad for spreading everywhere, and straw is impossible to clean properly. It needs to be something they won't eat, as G + P are both chewy buns. What else could I use? I've tried Carefresh but they just eat it. I'd love to use vet bed, but again, I think they'd eat it.

Any suggestions? I'm getting kinda desperate (as is mum!)!!

Are they in or outdoor buns.... and what are you putting the 'stuff' in? :)

They're outdoors from April til September, but otherwise house rabbits. It doesn't matter about using woodshavings in the shed as it can just be swept up if they go everywhere, but in the house the mess is unbelievable. I'm hoovering constantly, but even so the cleaner is threatening to leave! The shavings (from the indoor cage) just stick to the boys' feet and trek all over the house when they're free ranging.

Holiday Hutch, I thought megazorb and Carefresh were the same thing? And what's Bed o Linum?

Do you think it's possible to get some sort of chew-resistant cover for vet bed? Obviously I want the lil guys to be comfortable though.

Bed O'Linum is a new product to the UK and was only launched today here, though has been available in the rest of Europe for a while. It is made from Flax linen and is really soft. It absorbs all the moisture away from the surface and all you need to do is remove the clumped area and replace in that part of the hutch or litter tray etc. It also removes ammonia buildup.
157452_bunny_bedolinum_einstreu_1.jpg

Megasorb is different to carefresh and is a pulped paper product that is a lot finer.

Last edited:
Wow, I never heard of that before! It looks really fine though. Surely that would spread worse than woodshavings?

i changed to megazorb quite recently, after the woodshavings drove me to carefresh which drove me into bankruptcy (well, that's an exaggeration, but it is expensive!) and i find the megazorb great. not messy, not smelly. jolly good.

Well, I have an indoor cage and the babies have hay in their indoor cage, I find this doesnt make too much of a mess and in their litter tray they have cat litter. Maybe try some different hays etc but mine are litter trained so they eat the hay on the floor in their base and hardly any seems to fall out.

I am trialling Bed O Linum at the moment and it's a really nice, soft litter but I don't think it would suit long hair buns or be used without a layer of hay or similar on top if you were using it indoors. It's very light and does get everywhere.

I normally use Megazorb with all of ours.

I would have to say that I don't think that there is going to be a litter that is not going to spread unless you contain it in something high sided and put hay on top. I used under bed storage boxes for our indoor buns and they work well.

In any event, my opinion is that anything safe for small furries has to be better than shavings for safety, even if it does spread.

Helen

my lot are indoors too... i have tried various things.. wood based cat litter is quite good as it turns to shavings when wet so you just scoop it out, but the dry litter stays as pellet shapes (although dont know if they would eat it). Ive also tried megazorb but it got stuck in their fluff as mine are long haired. I've now given up using litters and just put newspaper in the bottom of underbed storage boxes and then put a big handful of hay at one end. They do trail hay about, especially cos they are longhaired but its easier to pick up than bits of wood shavings or megazorb. Just dont try to hoover up long bits of hay ;)

I use megazorb with hay on top in under bed storage boxes for all buns inside and out and it doesn't make one bit of mess, so so easy to lift out the tray and empty straight into the bin, simples! :D

my lot are indoors too... i have tried various things.. wood based cat litter is quite good as it turns to shavings when wet so you just scoop it out, but the dry litter stays as pellet shapes (although dont know if they would eat it). Ive also tried megazorb but it got stuck in their fluff as mine are long haired. I've now given up using litters and just put newspaper in the bottom of underbed storage boxes and then put a big handful of hay at one end. They do trail hay about, especially cos they are longhaired but its easier to pick up than bits of wood shavings or megazorb. Just dont try to hoover up long bits of hay ;)

Diddeen, yours are all long furred!!! Even your kitty is :love: You must have a cold house for them all to have to grow such long and fluffy winter coats.....(must take you AGES to comb them all?)

Diddeen, yours are all long furred!!! Even your kitty is :love: You must have a cold house for them all to have to grow such long and fluffy winter coats.....(must take you AGES to comb them all?)

:lol::lol::lol: they are just very fuzzy lionheads.. simba has a bit of a comb-over at the moment :lol:

Sunds like megazorb is the best option, although I don't know anywhere which sells it. :( I'll look into it though and see if I can find some online. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Sunds like megazorb is the best option, although I don't know anywhere which sells it. :( I'll look into it though and see if I can find some online. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The hay experts sell it online or you could ask a local supplier if they can get it in for you :)

Some horse feed merchants will sell Megazorb (it is designed as horse litter for stabling), but some don't as they I believe the minimum order from Northern Crop Driers who make it is either one or two pallets and a pallet has 40 bags on it - they'd need to have sufficient storage and enough people to purchase it. So, I'd try having a look on here to see if there is anyone local.

http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/stockists.htm

Back