• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back from the Bradford Excel Small Animal Show*May upset some people

Status
Not open for further replies.

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
Did anyone else go today?

If I go again I will have to avoid the show area, what I saw today in one cage was just too upsetting.

The most gorgeous REW that was so obviously stressed, Cage no more than 16 x 16 inches and at 9.20am this poor rabbit was going round in circles, heavy breathing, gnawing at the bars, biting its own fur in places and scratching like a dog at the shavings near the door to be let out:censored::cry: The show had been open 20 minutes at this point. We alerted a steward whose response was "Its a show love, they are used to it" and he walked off. I did tell a vet (Matt Brash) who promised to have a look, so I only hope he kept that promise after he had finished posing for the cameras.

Thankfully although still not ideal, at least the contis and german Lops had room to lie down this year and cages were a good 2 body lengths long.

I have totally fallen in love with the Polish breed.

Anothing disappointing element to the show, was that not one exhibitor had cages or hutches that met welfare standards and were only selling and showing breeding blocks.

Did pick up a few goodies at trade prices for the business and made a few good contacts with suppliers, so that side was good.

Saw RavenRex but am not convinced about Rabbit Jumping - seems more to me that they are running away from the human and have to get over the hurdles if they are to suceed, I also saw one young girl scruff her rabbit to pick it up and turn it round to go back the other way, the rabbit kicked out like mad :censored::censored:

So good and bad points to this years show from my point of view.

I've been twice but not this year as I saw enough, small cages, unhappy bunnies and a breeder getting a rabbit out of it's cage by it's ears. I have no wish to ever go again.

I went to a country show once, they had a 'rabbit tent' there that was awful, I had to walk out, it was SO hot in there and the buns didnt have room to lie out or anything...........*sigh*

Some people on here like the shows and rabbit jumping etc. I bet my pair would be ace at rabbit jumping, the little beggers can jump over two NIC cubes to escape but I doubt they would do it if I wanted them to!!! :lol::lol:

I've been twice and saw enough, small cages, unhappy bunnies and a breeder getting a rabbit out of it's cage by it's ears. I have no wish to ever go again.

:shock:

I didnt think people ACTUALLY did this...........doesnt the bun scream??? Dont the ears break off.....

Must go hug the babies..................

:shock:

I didnt think people ACTUALLY did this...........doesnt the bun scream??? Dont the ears break off.....

Must go hug the babies..................

Well he did and I was watching him with my Great Niece and she was most upset and I was disgusted. I saw a lot of things I didn't like.

Oh my, sorry you had to see that Lynne :( I've never really understood the concept of shows, I try to keep an open mind usually but that really doesn't sound good...poor little REW. :(

Its for ONE day.

They're used to it and will have been going to shows since babies. It may have been running around in circles but it will have soon settled down.

I have been to alot of shows and never seen an animal suffering.

I know alot of you won't agree but i know what goes on as i know alot fo breeders.

I may sound blunt but if you don't like it, why go?

Its for ONE day.

They're used to it and will have been going to shows since babies. It may have been running around in circles but it will have soon settled down.

I know alot of you won't agree but i know what goes on as i know alot fo breeders.

ONE DAY is quite a long time when you are a bun. Would you like it?

Its for ONE day.

They shouldn't have to get used to it!!! Ive been twice and seen enough and I don't go anymore.

Its a shame really, shows would be a great way of showing people how to care for your pets properly when all it does is the reverse... *sigh*

ONE DAY is quite a long time when you are a bun. Would you like it?

12 hours or under. From the show times. Thats the longest a show ever goes on for.

They can stretch out and lie down. I don't see a problem myself.

Stressed rabbits aren't aloud to be shown, if they kick, bite etc they get marked down so breeders won't enter them. So yeah. . . most i've seen at shows just lie down and sleep :roll:

I've been to alot of shows too, Bradford is a much bigger show so it's a longer day too.

Unless you sit by a cage and watch a rabbit for the whole day, you have no idea how it will feel.

Its for ONE day.

Sorry but I saw this rabbit you didn't and it was like it for a good hour which is NOT o.k imo

We know a lot of breeders too and have actually stopped supplying food to one of them after we did a delivery and saw her set up and how they handled their rabbits. I dont consider sitting them down and them slapping them in the face on their nose to get them to sit alert and square on to be anything but barbaric

I am actually appalled that someone who presumably is an animal lover on this forum can think it's alright:(

Its a shame really, shows would be a great way of showing people how to care for your pets properly when all it does is the reverse... *sigh*

Yes because people think you should keep a rabbit in a cage that is clearly a show cage.

Correct me if i'm wrong but they had a tv vet there, animal handling corner etc?

Sorry but I saw this rabbit you didn't and it was like it for a good hour which is NOT o.k imo

We know a lot of breeders too and have actually stopped supplying food to one of them after we did a delivery and saw her set up and how they handled her rabbits.

I am actually appalled that someone who presumably is an animal lover on this forum can think it's alright:(

Quite a few people on here do. There are one or two that actually breed and show on here too, which is a bit odd considering this is the forum for Rabbit Rehome..........

oh dear lord. 'Its just one day... and its only a rabbit' :roll:

you might not have said it... but seems like you implied it!

I have a good idea... lets put you in a 5ft x 5ft room for 12 hours with nothing to do and see how you like it :D:D:D

We know a lot of breeders too and have actually stopped supplying food to one of them after we did a delivery and saw her set up and how they handled their rabbits. I dont consider sitting them down and them slapping them in the face on their nose to get them to sit alert and square on to be anything but barbaric

They don't SLAP them? :shock: If that was done, they wouldn't be aloud to show again!

Most of the people on this forum are so quick to jump on showers/breeders, without knowing them first hand. You may know a few that are bad, but thats the same in all walks of life. You have the good and bad.

I happen to know the worst rescue ever, they don't even let their rabbits out of the cages. . . i know alot more breeders who take better care of their rabbits

oh dear lord. 'Its just one day... and its only a rabbit' :roll:

you might not have said it... but seems like you implied it!

I have a good idea... lets put you in a 5ft x 5ft room for 12 hours with nothing to do and see how you like it :D:D:D

No no no no, 5 ft x 5 ft is too generous... how about 3 ft x 3 ft..... (the adverage size of a breeders hutch length eh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back