• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny drinking urine?

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I have just found Honey drinking her pee :shock: She has clean water everyday & her drinking bottle definitely works - I read that some buns do it if they have had a shortage of water in the past (like a survival instinct maybe?) - she was pretty badly neglected by the people who had her before so it's highly likely she was deprived of fresh water frequently. Do you think it's something to worry about? She seems completely normal in every other way - I don't know if she's always drank her own pee but it's the first time I've seen her do it :?

Any advice appreciated :wave:

:wave: not entirely sure where i have read this so it might not be true.. some rabbits will drink their wee to hide their smell from predators, or if they are poorly.

Again i am unsure as to how true this is, but someone will hopefully be able to shed some more light on the subject:)

It can be a behavioural thing but *sometimes* it can be an indication of an underlying health problem.

If she continues to do it, does it more frequently, starts producing very dilute urine or shows signs of GI tract hypomotility (small/few poos, reduced appetitie etc) then I'd ask your Vet to check her over.

Is she a Dental Bun or has she ever had an ear infection ? Buns with pain in the head area sometimes drink their wee.

thats interesting..our mini lop oscar would drink his wee....he turned into a dental bunny so the pain in the head would make sense..but oddly enough he stopped doing this once he was living with bif. our vets we were with then had no idea why he did it.........but then thats no shock.

i thought perhaps it was a dietary thing......never thought it was a pain thing.

hope your bun is just weird!:lol:

Buzz drinks his wee... I posted about it on here a while ago. I also read that it was down to a shortage of water, and Buzz was in a neglected situation before he came to me so it could be a survival thing.

The other options that were suggested were that he wanted warm water in his mouth for his teeth or that it was purely behavioural.

He seems to get a lot of pleasure from it too - he has that look of satisfaction on his face that my buns have when they eat their caecals!

Thanks for the info everyone :wave:

It can be a behavioural thing but *sometimes* it can be an indication of an underlying health problem.

If she continues to do it, does it more frequently, starts producing very dilute urine or shows signs of GI tract hypomotility (small/few poos, reduced appetitie etc) then I'd ask your Vet to check her over.

Is she a Dental Bun or has she ever had an ear infection ? Buns with pain in the head area sometimes drink their wee.

Honey isn't a dental bun, and her ears are clean (never had any ear problems) but I will deffo keep an eye out for other symptoms - she is getting spayed soon so I'll mention it to the vet :wave:

Is she drinking it or is she just getting a taste of it? I have seen many rabbit done it in the past. I haven't seen a rabbit medicine book that can determine why. But it seems like they are doing it on purpose to check their own state of health, but that's just a guess.

1 way to prevent this is to use towel at the pee spot.

pearl used to drink her wee.. do you think it had anything to do with the heart issue she has now? :?

Back