• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need information for friend who wants a bunny

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My friend down the road is getting a bunny with (not for) her daughter of 14 years old. The daughter is at boarding school and is back in the holidays, but my friend who is 45 (and bunny mad) will look after the bunny most of the time.

She has asked me what she should do and how she should go about it, and I want to urge her on to rabbit rehome but not scare her off with the homechecks and admin involved.

What sort of things should I make sure I tell her? What are the statistics?

I think just be straight with her about everything, hutch sizes etc requirements etc that way she knows exactly what she is getting into, there's no point in trying to keep it low key for her, she needs to know if the bun is to be cared for properly, once she has all that info it's entirely up to her to decide whether she can meet a buns needs and make a decision from there.

Def point out the advantages of a rescue bun etc :D

It is really good your friend is getting advise before she gets a rabbit (or 2!)

I think it is important to be honest with her so she knows what she is taking on. Although you are worried her being put off going to a rescue centre or rabbit rehome because of the homechecks, etc, there are alot of advantages including the back up and suppor there are also so many lovely bunnies to chose from.

You could give her some of the leaflets for the rabbit welfare association or their website which is:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

Hope she has many happy years of bunny keeping ahead :)

Homechecks are nothing to be scared of:D

I've been homechecked before taking on a rescue rabbit.

Basically the homechecker(someone who the rescue trusts), would phone your friend to arrange when it would be convenient for the homechecker to call.

The homechecker will definitely be a rabbit lover :D and most likely have rabbits of their own.

They would discuss with your friend anything they felt might be a danger to the rescue bunny-perhaps asking for example if the bunny was to be housed outdoors...if she had checked if her garden plants were non-toxic to the rabbit and if they were toxic would she be prepared to relocate them or fence them off...or if the bunny was to be indoors had she thought about exposed wiring and how to "bunnyproof" it.

Its all very friendly.:D

I also went with my daughter (at a later date) when she homechecked someone. She asked about the type of indoor accommodation the lady was going to get and how the bunny would react with other pets. (The lady did have the rescue bun and now does a lot for a local rescue.:)

There really isn't much admin at all. The homechecker contacts the rescue to say all is OK then you can go to the rescue, collect the bun(s) and sign a form and pay an adoption fee(which varies depending on the rescue).

Its entirely up to you whether you get bonded bunnies or try to bond 2 yourself or let the rescue bond them.

Don't be put off by the thought of admin or homechecks.-sue:wave:

Last edited:
I think the best idea is to give her contact details for all her local rescue centres, so she can go along to see the rabbits and speak to the people who run them

Rescue!! Rescue!! And tell her all the downsides of keeping rabbits!! The daily changing of litter trays, the checking of bums every day (bain of my life at the minuet) the cost of food, hay, straw in winter if they are inside! Fruit and veg. Injections and the possibility that they might not be buns that like being cuddled or held which makes caring for them even more difficult. The amount of exercise they need and the time they will take to care for properly to keep them happy!!!! Oh oh and the grooming they require when they're moulting so they don't get hair balls!!!!!

Then tell her how sweet and comical they are and how it does your heart good to watch two rabbits interacting with each other or snuggled up or grooming. I'm new to rabbits - got my little loves in August and the work involved was a surprise to me. Better to change her mind now than to have little bunnies she will resent for the next 10 years!

(I love mine, by the way - would do it all over again! I just wasn't expecting the work or expense involved!) Mine aren't rescue ones and I've learnt from my experience of getting from a breeder that if you get from a rescue they are already neutered as neutering is expensive and you have the trauma of worrying about your beloved bunn before, during and after the op. Also you can't be guaranteed your bunny's nature from petshop or breeder but a rescue could maybe better suit a rabbit with an established character to you. Plus when I realised what amazing little creatures rabbits are and how you can really bring out their character with loads of love and care I realised that it would be really worthwhile giving a couple of bunnies a chance at a happy life, who wouldn't get it otherwise.

My goodness how I ramble on!

If she is prepared to wait a couple of months there is an event at the Blue Cross she could go to.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Events/cal_evnt298.asp

I thought I might go along.

I may go along to this too. I bet you come back with something:lol:

Maybe you could offer to help her find a hutch, first off? Point out all the big and expensive ones so she realises what bunnies need to live in. If you go to the blue Cross you can see the homes those buns live in.

She could also do what i did, find the bunny she likes on here, fall in love with it and then ask the rescue what they require. Bet she goes and gets the hutch etc;)

Last edited:
I may go along to this too. I bet you come back with something:lol:

Maybe you could offer to help her find a hutch, first off? Point out all the big and expensive ones so she realises what bunnies need to live in. If you go to the blue Cross you can see the homes those buns live in.

She could also do what i did, find the bunny she likes on here, fall in love with it and then ask the rescue what they require. Bet she goes and gets the hutch etc;)

Yeah that's a good idea.

You will be surprised I went to Pets at Home today and didn't come home with anything except goodies for the buns. Mum wanted a guinea pig though. :lol:

I was going to make up some toys for the rescues when I go as they have a wish list by the rabbits. Toilet roll inners are one of them.

Back