• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone spare vibes for my Chewy-chinchilla please? *UD* - post 23

Hanlou

Mama Doe
My beautiful Chewy-chin' isn't at all well. :(

He's quiet and subdued and though he's eating he isn't eating properly. He's lost some weight and is looking rather sorry for himself altogether. He's been to the vets and we've tried antibiotics just in case it was infection but as I suspected from the first it seems far more likely it is dental problems - he's avoiding hard foods etc. We went to the vets again today with him and he's now booked in for a G.A dental on Monday. Depending on what they find / how he comes through it he'll probably need an X-ray at some point too but for now we just want to build him up and get him feeling happier.

I've been syringing him Science Recovery which he's been eating well but he's always been a small and not very robust chinchilla so I'm very, very worried about Monday and his future. We've lost two chins' to dental problems already - one of which wasn't too long ago - so as you can imagine we are very frightened about Monday but we don't feel there is any real alternative to this procedure. I love him so much. :cry:

Here is our beautiful boy...

P1050956.jpg

Eating out of daddy's hand...

P1050969.jpg

Any spare vibes for him would be very much appreciated xx

Last edited:
Good luck little guy!

Try syringe feeding him baby food that's pure veg or making your own. (Porridge oats water and a little chopped apple/ banana. Cook it up and then puree it and feed at room temp.) The oats will help him put on weight.

How old is he? Because it could be Malocclusion but there are other symptoms.
http://www.chinchillas.com/resource/malocclusion.htm

Has he been given gut stimulant? It is important that he keeps eating, even more so than a bun. Keep us updated. I really feel for you. :(

Thank you so much for all the well wishes. xx :love:

I will keep you all up-to-date.

Jenova - sadly I have a lot of experience with the dreaded 'M' word so I know about the symptoms etc. Chewy is approximately 3 1/2 but as he is a rescue he could be older than this. He is still eating and pooing just fine - just not eating hard things like pellets and eating really slowly. At the moment I'm feeding him whatever he wants to eat really - he's taking the Recovery well and eating herbs / kale etc. too which I don't normally feed chins but in the circumstances I think it's worth doing! He's also eating his Readigrass and some hay. But I will try the oats, thanks. :) xxx

He's on Baytril too just in case there's any infection. I was giving him his Baytril the other day and Jack came bounding over to see what I was doing but seeing Chewy he dropped down and gently sat next to me grooming his tail! I was wary of course and would have stood up with Chewy if there had been any problems but no, Jack was as gentle as anything.

Since Chewy's been poorly Jack's often to be found laid next to the cage. It's as if he knows something's wrong..... and is watching over him or maybe I'm just imagining things.

I agree with feeding anything. I've even resorted to Charlie Chinchilla food if it's meant they'd eat. I almost lost my little Chong when he stopped eating due to stress (we'd moved the room around). I believe he was given injections of sterile water under the skin to keep him hydrated as well as most of the things you've mentioned.

Wishing you all the best for him.

Back