• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone house buns in a dog kennel?

I think thats great. For Strawberry it is perfect as he is an energetic bun who would spend all day running about so a small cosy sleeping area and large run are perfect for him. However when I asked if a rescue would rehome to a 4ft hutch with 8ft run they all said no.

To alot of rescues a 6ft covered area is a MUST.

My bunnies have a kennel which is effectively a 6ftx4ft shed with 8ftx6ft avairy.
I LOVE it, never need to shut them in as they like to sleep in the run!

I think thats great. For Strawberry it is perfect as he is an energetic bun who would spend all day running about so a small cosy sleeping area and large run are perfect for him. However when I asked if a rescue would rehome to a 4ft hutch with 8ft run they all said no.

To alot of rescues a 6ft covered area is a MUST.

So would all this be classed as covered do you think?? I also think my two would love zooming up and down this...(as well as free-range time in the garden). I cant really see how this cant be acceptable when you see some of the piddley hutches some people have! Im not slating rescues by the way - im glad they have requirements to get the best for their buns :D
Im just looking for something really secure that I know my babies will be safe in - i also like the stable door at the front.

So would all this be classed as covered do you think?? I also think my two would love zooming up and down this...(as well as free-range time in the garden). I cant really see how this cant be acceptable when you see some of the piddley hutches some people have! Im not slating rescues by the way - im glad they have requirements to get the best for their buns :D
Im just looking for something really secure that I know my babies will be safe in - i also like the stable door at the front.

Im not sure to be honest. If is for buns you already have then it doesnt matter about rescue requirements really, as long as you know its big enough.

I would definately have something like that for Strawberry as he would never use the closed in part anyways!

Im not sure to be honest. If is for buns you already have then it doesnt matter about rescue requirements really, as long as you know its big enough.

I would definately have something like that for Strawberry as he would never use the closed in part anyways!

yes true but Im just trying to find something if i ever do re-home from a rescue - I want to have the right size! ;)

yeah I know Soots and oreo will prob stay in the outside bit too so Im not too worried about the covered bit. just somewhere to put a tray of hay and a few blankets :love:

I totally agree with you on this, that is really nice and those bunnies will be lucky to have it, when I see the hammer house of horrors up the road from me those buns wouldn't know they were born if they had that much space and loving owners aswell. x

Hi. This is the kind of set-up I'm planning to have. If you plan for your buns' to have free range in the garden as well I think it would be great. :)

A lot of people have a 4ft x 4ft playhouse with attached run that rescues are happy to rehome to so I don't see the difference myself? 4ft x 4ft = 16 square feet of space with the potential to add shelves etc. for rabbits to jump on and off. A 6ft x 2ft hutch = 12 square feet of space with little potential to add 'floor space'. As the run is full height and sheltered it's different to a 2ft tall 'normal' rabbit run to in my opinion. But each rescue is different so perhaps ask a couple of rescues what they think?

Having said all that; I'd prefer to have one a bit bigger than this - am hoping for a 12ft or a 13ft one and I plan to ask the seller to make the 'living area' 5ft across and 4ft front-to-back with an 8ft run. This way they'd have more room to jump about in the sheltered kennel-type part of the run and given how bad the weather has been this winter it's something I'm concerned about! They will have access to the run part 24/7 and have free range of the garden whenever we're at home. :p

I've even been mentally planning how I'd like the kennel-part to be laid out lol.

If you have a 4ft x 3.5 ft living area that's a 14ftsq. Rescues insist on a 6ft x 2 ftt hutch - 12ftsq. The RSPCA say a run of 6ft x 4ft must be attached - 24ftsq but your kennel is 26 ftsq so I would say it's much better. You are provoding and extra 4 ftsq

Mine have a kennel and I love it and the rescue I used was fine with it as mine have free range time as well. here are some pics of mine

P1010159.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

Ha! I was just thinking of finding your post about your kennel and linking to it Rhian! :D

Your set-up is my inspiration, lol.

If you have a 4ft x 3.5 ft living area that's a 14ftsq. Rescues insist on a 6ft x 2 ftt hutch - 12ftsq. The RSPCA say a run of 6ft x 4ft must be attached - 24ftsq but your kennel is 26 ftsq so I would say it's much better. You are provoding and extra 4 ftsq
Mine have a kennel and I love it and the rescue I used was fine with it as mine have free range time as well. here are some pics of mine

P1010159.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

I don't get this, I have called them out to inspect a 'breeder' and they passed it, didn't even issue a warning/improvement notice and the accomodation is no-where near that size doesn't even have a permanent run attached to them as they are breeding hutches.:?

little kennel

the little kennel in the last posting is the one we use in our rabbit garden as a shelter. It works really well. But after the day free-ranging in the garden they go back to a two-storey hutch with hay-stuffed bedroom.

If you have a 4ft x 3.5 ft living area that's a 14ftsq. Rescues insist on a 6ft x 2 ftt hutch - 12ftsq.

That's what I was going to say too. And, in addition you have the scope to add another level in the kennel part too of you wish, making even more space. ;) It's much easier to clean out too and you don't have to get wet doing it!

Alfie and Bubbles have a 12x4 aviary/run (I opted for an aviary to get the full 6ft height as most dog kennels I found were only 5ft and I didn't fancy hitting my head all the time. :lol:

DSCF7762700x525.jpg

I've put a clear tarpaulin across the front (and a clear shower curtain over the side door in very heavy rain) which means that they can have unrestricted access to the whole thing, no matter what the weather.

the little kennel in the last posting is the one we use in our rabbit garden as a shelter. It works really well. But after the day free-ranging in the garden they go back to a two-storey hutch with hay-stuffed bedroom.

The kennel is the whole thing which they have access to 24/7. The little box you are referring to is just a bit of enrichment.

I don't get this, I have called them out to inspect a 'breeder' and they passed it, didn't even issue a warning/improvement notice and the accomodation is no-where near that size doesn't even have a permanent run attached to them as they are breeding hutches.:?

I saw your post about that. It's insane I know but it's how the law is I'm afraid. Only this evening I have sent an official objection to my local council for a local rodent breeder who does it on an industrial scale and wants to renew his license. We manged to get it rejected last time. That is even worse than how rabbits are bred so I won't shock you with it but rodent breeding has no official regulation at all, it's upto local council discretion.

Last edited:
I saw your post about that. It's insane I know but it's how the law is I'm afraid. Only this evening I have sent an official objection to my local council for a local rodent breeder who does it on an industrial scale and wants to renew hos license. We manged to get it rejected last time. That is even worse than how rabbits are bred so I won't shock you with it but rodent breeding has no official regulation at all, it's upto local council discretion.

Really, it's just so unnecessary, good for you trying to do something about it. Maybe get a petition going in a local pet shop or vets? I just find it hypocritical of the RSPCA to insist on any sort of size requirements and then not take action when people seriously fall short of that and don't even meet all the five freedoms.:roll: Sorry just feeling very jaded about the RSPCA at the moment. x

Really, it's just so unnecessary, good for you trying to do something about it. Maybe get a petition going in a local pet shop or vets? I just find it hypocritical of the RSPCA to insist on any sort of size requirements and then not take action when people seriously fall short of that and don't even meet all the five freedoms.:roll: Sorry just feeling very jaded about the RSPCA at the moment. x

It's not just that in my case. Totally off topic but rodent breeders don't have to ensure their animals are not inbred, don't have to ensure animals with known genetic health conditions are not bred from and when a doe is starting to decrese in numbers of litters and numbers per litter then she is snake food. This is coupled with the fact they are kept in tiny boxes the whole of their lives. Battery hens are kept in luxury compared to rodents :(.

I do agree that the RSPCA should do stuff when people are just not providing for their animals but I'm sure if they intervened every time they wouldn't be able to keep the amount of animals they confiscate. I think a better option is to get pet shops up to scratch as they are the people providing most of the animals and most of the dodgy info.

I'm also planning for the dog kennel and run, fortunatley a guy makes them on ebay and he only lives 20min from me and charge £290 for 10x4 and 5ft in height, I'm going to have 'levels' put in the shed area for them too...can't wait...I can go and see him to discuss my 'requirements' as he can make adaptions to suit...he's gonna wish he hadn't said that, I'll be there all day!!:lol::lol:

WOW Lottielouise that is a mansion not a kennel!!!!!
Thanks so much everyone for your comments

Rhian/Karen yours are lovely - if you dont mind me asking how much and where did you get it from??

I have also been looking at 12 x 4 - i will have to have a measure up and see what the biggets one I can get if I do go for that sort..

I agree about the height - as im 5ft 9 i may need a slightly taller one too - as i am planning on getting in and playing with them.. :D
Might even be good enough to sleep in there if I row with my OH :lol::lol:

I also dont agree with the shift in 'standards' - they should have a legal size and EVERYONE must house in that size or above! and shops shouldnt be allowed to sell any smaller - but thats a whole different debate

Any more piccies gratefully received :D

Back