• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits would this be suitable for?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
A 7x7ft shed with two shelves, and an attached run of probably about 7x4ft (maybe 7x5ft if I can squeeze an extra foot). They'd also get regular free range of the garden.

I think that would be absolutely fine for a foursome.

49sq ft inside + 35 sq ft outside = Plenty of space not to be on top of each other.

Free range in the garden too = very happy bunnies :D

I would only have 2 in that setup, but then I would only ever have 2 buns at a time! I guess if you rescue them, having 4 in a setup like that is better than them being confined to stinking 3 foot hutches 24/7.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate what some are saying that it is better to have fewer bunnies and more space for them. However I personally do think this would be a reasonable/good size for more than two and would as someone else said, get more bunnies out of rescue, so thought I'd canvas opinions.

I would be interested to know how many rabbits any rescues would rehome to this size?

I don't want to overcrowd them obviously but would love to have a small group of maybe three or four :D

I only previously had two buns in the shed (with no attached run), but they were free range for anything from four hours up to the whole day (15/16 hours in summer). However they were oldies and couldn't be bothered to make escape attempts etc so I am intending on attaching a run this time, and free range time will be closely supervised so I can see how they get on! Attaching the run also blocks off the bit of garden most difficult to bun-proof so will make free range time easier too.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate what some are saying that it is better to have fewer bunnies and more space for them. However I personally do think this would be a reasonable/good size for more than two and would as someone else said, get more bunnies out of rescue, so thought I'd canvas opinions.

I would be interested to know how many rabbits any rescues would rehome to this size?

I don't want to overcrowd them obviously but would love to have a small group of maybe three or four :D

I only previously had two buns in the shed (with no attached run), but they were free range for anything from four hours up to the whole day (15/16 hours in summer). However they were oldies and couldn't be bothered to make escape attempts etc so I am intending on attaching a run this time, and free range time will be closely supervised so I can see how they get on! Attaching the run also blocks off the bit of garden most difficult to bun-proof so will make free range time easier too.

I know what your saying and I would perhaps put 4 smaller buns in there, only because of the additional run and shelving also increases the space. also appreciate what your saying about how much space they have in a rescue but that is only supposed to be for a short time. I have seen buns on here with less space and peoplehave said that they think its great.

:wave: I think personally 4 bonded bunnies would be more than happy with that much space, I think people need to be realistic about some of the horrors that are happening around and are being passed by the RSPCA even though they are well below the 'welfare act' guidelines. That would be a nice comfortable home with loving owners and a rescue should be happy with that in my opinion. x

:wave: I think personally 4 bonded bunnies would be more than happy with that much space, I think people need to be realistic about some of the horrors that are happening around and are being passed by the RSPCA even though they are well below the 'welfare act' guidelines. That would be a nice comfortable home with loving owners and a rescue should be happy with that in my opinion. x

I agree with VickiP, especially as they will have free range time :wave:.

Definately 4 easily :? 4 normal sized bunnies in that sort of space would be more than happy :) xXx

I would say 3/4 would be fine. A 6' hutch/run combo is 36 square foot which is what most people keep a pair in. That's more than double so plenty of space.

Thank you everyone :) hopefully I will end up with a threesome or foursome.

Spider I love those three, they are gorgeous and I'm always looking at their thread. I'm not ready for the buns yet though as I need to build the run on and get a catflap fitted etc, and need my H's help so don't think it will happen until the weather turns a little milder.

I am getting a baby mini lop soon (I am getting him from a breeder just this once, he is a colour/breed I have always wanted). I am planning for him to live indoors until neutered, and whilst I finish the shed, then when he is done I will look for either a pair or trio of rescue buns to bond with him :D That way the shed will stay neutral until they all move in too.

Back