• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

decided to splash out and buy a new hutch

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
Hey everyone, while I have been ill I have been on here alot and looking at your hutches for your bunnies, I have decided that my hutch is not big enough for my gorgeous boy to be in. When i got him the breeder came round and checked where he would be living and said it was acceptable but now i think it is not.

I have one of these, really old photo and it makes it look horrid, but its lovely normally.
DSC00803.jpg

Bramble the bunny on the bottom is only in there at night and then out in his big run during the day.

I have decided to get him a bigger run, as i dont like him in this one so need your advice. I have two in mide and cant decided, so opinions would be very grateful.

they are:
Orchard manor
orchardmanor.jpg

or
primrose den
primroseden.jpg

These are both from pets at home. Bramble will be in here at night and still out in his run during the day.

The hutch they have now will be kept for buddy as hopefully dad with his thinking cap can figure out putting a ramp in and giving him more space for him and his bunny wife when i find him one.
Or i could foster bunnies in my spare hutch.

help and advice would be greatful.
xxxx

What is your budget? You could go for a shed instead or if you have more cash and don't plan to use your current run you could get a dog kennel. I have a 10ft x 4ft kennel for £345. It's shiplap and the guy came and built it in the garden.

I would personally not buy a P@H hutch. They're quality in my opinion is shocking. If you want a hutch why not try "Happy Hutches"
Or even better, a 6x4ft shed. I know they're doing one in B&Q at the moment for £99!

I shall look at happy hutches now. Would love to get a shed but mum and dad are not that keen, so will have to do some sweet talking. my budget is not huge and i think i can reach £200 at a push.

I shall look at happy hutches now. Would love to get a shed but mum and dad are not that keen, so will have to do some sweet talking. my budget is not huge and i think i can reach £200 at a push.

You could get a bike store which are about the same height as a double hutch but much easier to clean.

I agree if you can go up to £200 I would get a 6ft by 4ft shed and still give them the run access.

I dont like Pets at home hutches. They are very overpriced for the size and quality you get.

Last edited:
Happy Hutches hutches are much better quality than Pets at Home!
I have one and it is solid, but not the best quality in the world, but if you want a GREAT quality hutch you want a Dawsons, but this will set ou back £100s, but then will last a life time.
Personally I'd suggest a shed :D

Your local RSPCA centre should be able to sell you a 6x2x2 hutch for about £100, and they seem like good quality

Hey :)

I think the fact you're willing to spend money on a new hutch for your buns is great, but I bought a Primrose Den from pets at home last summer to temporarily look after a friend's rabbit (she lives too far away to transport the hutch) and when I bought the flat packed hutch home and opened it, it was TERRIBLE. The wood is flimsy and weak, and much smaller than it looks online. My lop eared could've broken it, it was seriously awful quality. I may have just got a one off duff one, but from personal experience, I wouldn't buy another one from there again :(

:wave:Yes I think it's great your upgrading your bunnies accomodation, good luck with what you decide to do, pics when all done and bun in new condo.

We went to pets at home today to look at them and like the orchard more than primrose den. hadnt thought of trying our local RSPCA but will look into them. my idea house would be a shed but its talking parents into it. like the idea of a kennel and was laughing with mum today cos we saw one at pets at home and she said that would do joined to his run and i laughed.

thankyou for all the ideas, i do appreciate it.

I was consideing the Orchard one for my guinea pigs, but as told when it gets wet the roof peels and also its not fox proof (which isn't an issue for me as we don't have foxes here, but if there are where you are). In the end I went with the Lavender Lodge which if 5ft 3 in length, and it is fantastic quality! It would be OK for a bunny with a run I think.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/lavender-lodge-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-hutch-by-pets-at-home-16002

I also splashed out on a hutch for Rosie...I bought this one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6FT-Dou...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item35a1e1709f
It looks quite good quality but I cannot say for sure as it hasn;t arrive yet.

I did originally want hutches from Happy Hutch, but they refuse to deliver to me. :censored:

Thankyou for this, i like that one too. Refelting wouldnt be a problem as i do mine every couple of years and have about 6 rolls in the garage. Dad is taking me back to pets at home tomorrow to have a look at orchard manor and then he said he may make me one, cos it may be cheaper that way and i get the size i want.

I would get a shed, which would work out much cheaper than a hutch, then you can spend the remaining (whats left over from your budget for the hutch) on a bigger run.

thanks everyone. Bramble and buddy have huge runs already, which they spend all day in apart from when they are out exploring the garden. The hutch is only for night times and when the weather was really bad.

have you considered getting something made? I know there is a guy in Liverpool area that makes hutches to size, and theres someone in Chester and someone in Deeside this is the link to the one in Deeside they deliver at cost also if you contact them tell them Caroline gave you the link (I get my hutches made off them so it gets me brownie points lol)
http://www.freewebs.com/petplaces/
they are very good quality with good bolts and hindges and scater boards to stop them chewing the door and all the woodshavings falling out when you open the door its Gareth and Keely.

Back