• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

swollen tummy, not eat, not willing to move around

maggiebunny

Young Bun
hi my 9 months old girl bunny not willing to eat and just stay and not willing to move around, and got a swollen tummy like a balloon, im so worry, i heard from some website that the symptom may be she got gas in her tummy, and i have just given her Simeticone . I am so worry dont know wts wrong with her!!
vet closed now, i think the earlier i can get her to the vet is 2moro morning, any suggestion?

:wave:Hi - sorry to hear your bunnie is not feeling well. My bunnies occasionally have this symptom and it is usually gas. What I do is give them a good tummy rub/massage - you can usually feel the tummy getting softer. Then give them some space to have a good run around, then another tummy rub. I just continue with this until they start to move around again normally and eat their hay. Give this a go, I'm sure it will make your bunny feel better.

Good luck and do let us know how you are getting on.

I'd get her to the emergency vet,she needs pain relief.By all means try infacol and get her moving [although she wont want to],but she needs to be seen.

When did she last eat and poo? Try offering her a drink of tepid water from a bowl it's important to keep the contents of the stomach hydrated. You can massage her tummy, but I would advise you to take her to the vets tonight, it may be too late tomorrow:(

It sounds as though she has bloat which is an Emergency.
You relly need to try to contact a Vet ONIGHT as *if* it is bloat tomorrow morning may well be too late :cry:

If her stomach is distended please DO NOT attempt abdominal massage until she has been assessed by a Vet. You are very likely to do more harm than good

Please do try to get in contact witha Vet now

I highly recommend giving her some tummy rubs to ease some of the pain. It helped for my Boris.
But I agree,she really does need to see a vet.

Last edited:
help

hi anyone know what cause my girl bummy to have a swollen tummy, i didnt change her diet, by the way, i tried to let her to move around, but she doesnt willing to move, and she is a bit cold, i put her and the cage near the heater

It sounds as though she has bloat which is an Emergency.
You relly need to try to contact a Vet ONIGHT as *if* it is bloat tomorrow morning may well be too late :cry:

If her stomach is distended please DO NOT attempt abdominal massage until she has been assessed by a Vet. You are very likely to do more harm than good

Please do try to get in contact witha Vet now

This!

There could be many reasons for this, nd all of them dangerous.

Do NOT massage her tummy because if you do and its some conditions it could makre it worse.

She needs a vet tonight, she is gravely ill.

We really can't say bcause we are not there and more importantly, are not vets. Have you phoned your vet yet?

I wouldn't concern yourself with why or what, but just get your bun to the vets immediately as she is very ill with these symptoms.

I'd suggest that the vet will give you a better idea as to why, when she has been treated.

Please call the vets now.

i have just check the bunny, and it seems that her tummy got lots of flowing liquid inside, anyone knows?

Only a VET is qualified to diagnose your rabbit,at least telephone one for advice although if she's not eating, pooing and drinking she needs to see one tonight, otherwise she might not be here in the morning:cry: She will also be in a lot of pain:cry:

Is she the mother of the kits?

omg

hi she seem so tired and no energy on her hands and legs, i have just called the emergency, they said mimimum need 150pounds, thats really a lot..omg

i know its a nightmare.... Alvin has been admitted to the emergency vets and it cost 350 quid... but without them he would of died..

i really hope she will be ok but i honestly dont think she will survive if she has bloat and dont get treatment from an exotics vet :cry::cry::cry:

You really don't have a choice - the rabbit needs to be seen and the cost is really immaterial I am afraid. Please don't debate it, we all agree you need to do this or your bunny may not make it through the night.

You really don't have a choice - the rabbit needs to be seen and the cost is really immaterial I am afraid. Please don't debate it, we all agree you need to do this or your bunny may not make it through the night.

This. She needs it, and it is in her best interests to see a vet. No ifs and buts, its what she needs.

The thing with bunnies is, as a prey animal, they're very good at pretending there's nothing wrong with them even when they're quite poorly. The fact that your rabbit is so clearly unwell means that it's already serious, and she does need to be seen by a vet immediately.

Last edited:
Back