• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treatment for sluggish gut...help please!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Right...my new bun has been at the vets today for blood tests and x-rays.

The blood tests are normal, the x-rays are clear except for what is believed to be gas and impacted food in the stomach and intestines.

She is definitely not in proper stasis because her guts are making audiable sounds, she is eating some veg, and she does occasionally poop (normal poops apart from being a bit hard and dry) but the poops are a day or more apart.

My vets are stumped and have said the only options are:
1) surgery (which they and I are reluctant to do)
2) throw every possible treatment at the problem in the hope something works.

Obviously we've gone for option 2, so now she's on a list of drugs as long as my arm (metacam, metaclopramide, zantac, antibiotics, simethicone, probiotics, hartmanns fluid and even pineapple juice in our desperation ( :roll: ). As well as all this I'm syrine feeding her recovery food mixed with organic vegetable baby food and warm water.

She doesn't seem 'poorly' like my other stasis buns have done in the past...she moves around (although most time is spent with her belly on the floor...possibly indicating gas pain?), she's grooming normally, her eyes aren't closed or dull, and she is accepting recovery food quite readily.

I'm at a loss to know what else I can do? Any thoughts?

Can't be of any help as it seems you have everything covered:?
Hope you see some improvement over next couple of days

My herbally vet prescribed extract of Dandelion root for a long term stasis type problem once. She swears by it. He got better but can't say whether it was that that specifically helped as he was on all the other meds you mentioned too :?

I had a similar problem about 3 years ago with my two and the anitbiotics seemed to work after a couple of days. They were not in proper stasis either but seemed reluctant to eat.

Is she moving about at all? Movement can help to kick-start things.

Lots of vibes

FC x

I would think loads and loads of fluids are vital to help rehydrate the gut and get the impacted food moving.

My herbally vet prescribed extract of Dandelion root for a long term stasis type problem once. She swears by it. He got better but can't say whether it was that that specifically helped as he was on all the other meds you mentioned too :?

Thank you Hugo's There. My bun digs for roots in the lawn but may not know he needs dandelions. He eats the leaves voraciously.

Abbeymarysmokey. My bun has a sluggish lower gut/caecum. It's been difficult for us over the last 2 months. I decided to return him to leaves - bramble leaves are the only ones available at present. They keep well if well dried. I also remove the tiny barbed thorns by rubbing the leaf with lint. His bowel improved after only 2 days.

The other measure avoiding all fruit sugars & starch in his diet.

Thank you Hugo's There. My bun digs for roots in the lawn but may not know he needs dandelions. He eats the leaves voraciously.

Abbeymarysmokey. My bun has a sluggish lower gut/caecum. It's been difficult for us over the last 2 months. I decided to return him to leaves - bramble leaves are the only ones available at present. They keep well if well dried. I also remove the tiny barbed thorns by rubbing the leaf with lint. His bowel improved after only 2 days.

The other measure avoiding all fruit sugars & starch in his diet.

You can buy dried dandelion roots from the Woodlands range at P@H. Snowdrop loves them.

I hope I don't jinx myself by posting this, but she seems much better today and has eaten some Russell Rabbit mix and SS pellets...and we have a normal-ish amount of Poo! :D

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but I'm much more positive than last week.

Thanks for the help guys :wave:

I am truly delighted by your news.

It is a great credit to your care that you have managed to get some gut stability despite ongoing dental issues.:D

Everything crossed that progress continues & she is soon well enough for dental correction.

Well, it's been 3 days since she started eating and drinking normally, and I'm becoming more hopeful that she's now on the mend :D

I'm just so thankful that she's eating and drinking for herself now, given that I'm having to spend so much time caring for Pootle with her head tilt.

It is a great credit to your care that you have managed to get some gut stability despite ongoing dental issues.:D

Thanks thunps_ :wave: :D

TBH I don't think it was her teeth to blame for the problem. She had a dental when she went under GA as a precaution, but I don't think that was the reason she started to recover.

If I had to say the most likely cause, it would have to be her snuffles making her reluctant to eat or drink, and the lack of fibre and hydration slowly made her guts start to shut down.

Well, it's been 3 days since she started eating and drinking normally, and I'm becoming more hopeful that she's now on the mend :D

I'm just so thankful that she's eating and drinking for herself now, given that I'm having to spend so much time caring for Pootle with her head tilt.

Thanks thunps_ :wave: :D

TBH I don't think it was her teeth to blame for the problem. She had a dental when she went under GA as a precaution, but I don't think that was the reason she started to recover.

If I had to say the most likely cause, it would have to be her snuffles making her reluctant to eat or drink, and the lack of fibre and hydration slowly made her guts start to shut down.

Yes I agree with you completely about the effect of a compromised airway, (snuffles) on a buns ability to eat & drink, with consequent serious gut issues. Dental issues can be treated quickly, but a compromised airway takes much longer to clear.
Add to that that she's a new rescue who hasn't yet learned that you are trustworthy.

I've nursed a bun through endless hypomotility issues (a combination of dental & very mild "aquired megacolon") & helped with severe snuffles. I could not have managed to get a bun through all the issues combined as you have done here.

You've worked a miracle for this bunny. I really do take my hat off to you. :D:D:D:D

Back