• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pickles Update --Stasis???

Dandelion101

Young Bun
Dear all,

Thanks for the help so far with my little boy Pixie. After taking him to the vets yesterday he thought it might be a cold and gave me anti biotics for him, but I was really unsure about the diagnosis. So I kept him warm gave him the medicine and he seemed a bit better this morning not slumped or shivering. So I investigated another vet and he was soooo good had a listen to his tummy and he thinks its stasis. He had an injection this morning,1 tom and perhaps 1 on sun. But he has taken a treat from me today so that's great.

Any help on how I go from here I have never come across stasis before. Is it ok to give him shredded paper for bedding, I have noticed him eating some of it. Is this bad, would this have caused his problem?????????

Thanks

Amanda

Not as worried bunny mum
xxx

Hi! :wave:

I'm glad you found a supportive vet. Sorry, I'm not a great expert, but I think that bedding will be fine - ask your vet about it tomorrow though. In the meantime do all you can to persuade your bun to eat. Give him his favourite treats, and watery foods like cucumber will help to keep him hydrated, if he'll eat it. It's always worth putting a little tepid water in a bowl in his cage, even if he has a bottle. A poorly bun often prefers water from a bowl for some reason.

Good luck and keep us updated!

If you have noticed him eating the bedding, I would avoid it definatly whilst he is in statis, he needs to be getting fibre to get his guts moving again, so replace with lots of hay (Not straw)
ATM try tempting him with all his fav foods and treats, it is vital he starts eating soon, the sooner he eats the more likely he is to poop and start the whole cycle again.
If you need any advise feel free to pm me, Jims has had statis many times now.

:wave: I think if I had a bun who was eating the paper bedding I wouldn't use it, you have no way of controlling intake - change it to hay to be on the safe side, it may be causing him to be bunged up as it would probably be harder to digest.

It's best if they don't eat their bedding, if he eat a lot of paper it could cause guy problems. I would try something else that he isn't tempted to eat, like carefresh, megazorb etc. Or you could just put a layer of hay on top of the paper, hopefully that would stop him eating it and give him something healthy to nibble on :)

Back