• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do i keep rabbits smelling fresh?!?!

clairekaitlin

Warren Scout
I use megazorb in there cage which gets cleaned out every 3/4 days, there cage doesnt smell so why when I pick the smallest (sexually angry may i add) bunny up she smells and its not very pleasant?!?!

When we first got the girls we had to bath them as they had been born on a farm and basically just left in a field on pure mud after a flood!?!?!? I'm sure you can imagine!! however now there bigger I'm not sure they would appriciate a sink bath lol!

I was looking on the back of my dog odour neautrilising spray and wonders if this is suitable?!?!?

Please help as I don't want to have stinky abbits when there sooooo cute:love:
claire x

are they neutered ?

and do you use excell rabbit pellets as this has a tendancy to makethere poos smell a lot

rabbits themselves do have a slight smell, but not a nasty one, most of the time my freinds say it smells of hay more than anything in my flat lol

I wouldn't use any deodorising spray as it may well be harmful.

If the cage is smelly then you need to clean it out more often.

If it is just the rabbit that is smelly I would ask:-

Is the rabbit dirty underneath?

Is the rabbit definatley female?

Have they had a vet visit since you got them to determine health and sex?

Its probably more the fact she isn't neutered rather than anything. My Dillan really did smell sometimes before he was 'done'. He now smells of fresh hay etc and is fed on excel pellets and I haven't noticed his poo smelling. You'll probably notice a real difference a few weeks after she's been neutered.
Helen xx

What kind of cage do you have? In some wooden cages, the urine can soak into the floor, which means the cage remains smelly however often you clean it out. It could be a good idea to cover the floor with something like plastic or lino, but obviously very well stuck down so the rabbit won't chew on it. If it's a plastic or metal based cage, then it probably means the rabbit needs to be cleaned out more often.

In answer to all your questions.....No the sisters arent spayed yet as my local vets wont do them until 20 weeks and they are inly 15 weeks, they have a plastic cage which is filled with megazorb and and changed plenty.

It is not there poo that smells its there actual fur, and the only way to describe it is like a whiffy feminine smell lol! I know there both sexually mature and frustrated as they keep humping each other and are defo both females!

?!?!?!

Back