• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He just won't eat hay...

casu consulto

Mama Doe
:(

Jack's doing my head in with his lack of interest in hay...! (And I'm only frustrated because I don't want him to get dental issues.)

He'd lived wild in gardens for two weeks, eating grass, vegetables (from a vegetable garden... though apparently he liked leeks which I don't think he's meant to have eaten) and lettuce thrown out for him. When he first came here, he ate his hay, any kind of hay, and did loads of perfect poops. Now he's lost interest in hay. He WILL eat it, if you sit and watch him and call him a good boy after each strand. :roll:

I bought one of those sample pack things from the Hay Experts... He shows slightly more interest in Alpine Meadow Hay. But he won't tuck into it with enthusiasm. I've honestly got about ten types of hay on hand, and it just sits in his cage. He looks disgusted when I offer him fresh grass.

He's going to be neutered next week (hopefully!) and he teeth will be looked at then, because he freaked when the vet tried to look at the start of this week. At a guess, he is a young bunny, under a year old and at a guess I'd say under 6 months. I want to make him eat hay so he doesn't have problems later on. :?

When you say fresh grass do you mean hand picked? Any chance you can try him in a run on the grass and see if he'll graze naturally?

Have you tried grating carrot, mixing fresh herbs in with hay?

Do you use hay racks or put it in his litter tray? Try both.

If all else fails my failsafe plan is to get him a girlfriend who is a champion hay eater so he can copy her! :lol::lol::lol:

It's grass I've gone out and handpicked from the garden AND my neighbour's garden. My neighbour has lovely grass, and I've used it before to tempt any bunny who had stasis with. :) But he just isn't interested in it. I divided it up amongst the other five yesterday and they all practically inhaled it... I can't put any of them out on the grass due to it resembling a bog at the moment, and I don't have a run for Jack yet.

I've tried mixing things in with the hay. He either can't be bothered foraging, or he plucks the stuff out and leaves the hay. :roll: He's an awkward little pest.

He's more likely to eat hay when it is at the end of his litter tray, but that's just his brief nibble at it. Hay elsewhere gets ignored.

He's hopefully going to be bonded with Edgar in the spring...! Edgar's brilliant, he loves anything and everything and is a hay/grass enthusiast.

He's hopefully going to be bonded with Edgar in the spring...! Edgar's brilliant, he loves anything and everything and is a hay/grass enthusiast.

That will help no end. Casper was a nightmare hay eater, to be honest I'm not even sure he knew what it was but since I bonded him to Autumn he is now a champion hay eater.

Have you tried burns green oat hay?

My bunny LOVES this, and we mix it with her usual timothy oat hay, in her litter tray and she munches whilst doing her business.

Hope so! Eddie is soooo interested in Jack at the moment. :) But Jack needs castrating and time to calm down before he can ever meet him 'properly'.

I'll give the Oat Hay a try... The other bunnies really liked it when I bought it for a while. :)

When I let him out the crate, he skips about picking tiny strands off the carpet (my bedroom now resembles a barn!) and eating them, but ignores the little hay piles in the crate itself? :? He's either reeeeeally awkward or his teeth are not right, I just don't know what else it could be.

Back