• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

no womb = no cancer??

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I sent an email to my vet and got a really defensive email back, which I really didn't expect, but I am really hurt that they are saying that I lied repeatedly that my beautiful girl was not spayed

One part of the reply really got to me though

"*Therefore, either Cherry Blossom was not neutered as you said, or she was neutered and cannot possibly have had a uterine adenocarcinoma.* "

So does a spay guarantee that your doe will never get cancer. Is it that cut and dry?

Oh and I have been asked to leave the practice due to my patronising email.

*Sorry, I am just looking for answers, like we all do in these cases. Liz has already told me that it was definately cancer, and Elaine has previously assured me that Cherry was neutered, I even saw her spay woond. Which is refered to as "spay wound" or "in fact she had not been neutered"

I just feel :evil::evil: I trust what Liz and Elaine have both said and I am angry that the vets dismissed cancer, because she was neutered

Last edited:
They've asked you to leave the practice?
How awful, I'd take up your case with someone higher...

maybe if she was done later in life it had already started and already spread to other organs before the womb was removed :(:( and then noone can be to blame just the people who had her first :?

eta - surely the xrays would show if she had a womb or not the cheeky :censored::censored:

maybe if she was done later in life it had already started and already spread to other organs before the womb was removed :(:( and then noone can be to blame just the people who had her first :?

eta - surely the xrays would show if she had a womb or not the cheeky :censored::censored:

I agree if it had already started to spread before the spay then it could still be there but surely its equally possible for a bunny to get cancer thats not related to a cancer in the womb and therefore the vets should still consider it a possibility???

I am not looking for anyone to blame. I just want to make sure that it doesn't happen to another rabbit of mine, and that the vets are a bit more informed that dispite a doe being spayed that cancerous cells can still be present and active, and therefore cancer should not be dismissed so readily.

I am not sure how to reply to the email. I wrote 2 short paragraphs and recieved an a4 page of defensive, untruths.

That's ridiculous surely all cells have the capability of mutating and becoming cancerous?! I hope you have another bunny savvy vet you can go to, with your current vets attitude Id want to go elsewhere anyway!!

It's perfectly possible for cancers to develop independent of whether the rabbit is fixed or not. All cancer is are cells too damaged to perform their function, but not damaged enough to stop reproducing. That can happen in ANY cell in the body.

Unspayed does may be at a higher risk of uterine cancers and those cancers are likely to spread if not caught early, but that does NOT EVER rule out cancer completely if they are spayed... as Cherry's case has tragically proven.

If any cancer cells had already spread when she was spayed (which is why I asked you if any comment was made about the condition of her Uterus) then the spay would not prevent secondary tumours. I had the exact same thing happen to a 4 year old Ex breeding Rex (Meg). She was spayed and tumours were found in her uterus. She died 11 months later from secondaries on her liver and lungs :cry:

I bet they are getting worried that they are thinking you might sue them. They probably don't understand that you just want answers - I seem to come across that attitude all the time when 'digging' and people don't appreciate it.

I thought it was established in all species that if the cancerous organ was removed 'too late' then the cancer had already had chance to spread and that's most probably what's happened, nothing for them to get defensive about. They don't sound very professional if they are trying to deny this possibility.

I'm amazed they didn't see anything on all the x-rays etc that they undertook, that is probably why they are so defensive, they are probably aware that they made mistakes..... in which case why would you want to stay at their practice anyway? :?

As if you haven't been through enough - have they no compassion? Just busy covering their behinds :evil:

Last edited:
I am not sure how to reply to the email. I wrote 2 short paragraphs and recieved an a4 page of defensive, untruths.

Do you want to give yourself the stress of replying? It doesn't look as if you will get anywhere if you do. To pass the stress back to them you could just give them a one liner about discussing the matter with your solicitor.

Or if you really want to follow it through I'm sure there is real evidence from PM, x-rays etc of the cancer.

I'm sorry, Louise. I understand why you must be devastated and furious with the attitude of your vets. However, I don't think that pursuing your complaint will get you anywhere.:( If it does, it will be after a lot more struggle and sorrow - mostly for you). Let it go. Don't go back there and...make sure that everybody in your area knows what kind of treatment you received from them.:p

I'm sorry, Louise. I understand why you must be devastated and furious with the attitude of your vets. However, I don't think that pursuing your complaint will get you anywhere.:( If it does, it will be after a lot more struggle and sorrow - mostly for you). Let it go. Don't go back there and...make sure that everybody in your area knows what kind of treatment you received from them.:p

:thumb: deffo make it known about town you was not satisfied with the treatment during Cherries life and even less happy with thier attitude over her death... they should of offered to investigate what happened at the very least... appalling practice and people should know this so thay can choose to take thier pets elsewhere :evil::evil:

I would respond saying you are not satisfied with their explanation and that you request a meeting with the Senior Vet to discuss the situation face-to-face.

Do you know if the Vet who did the most recent Radiographs commented on the previous bloods/radiograph results ?

If they refuse your request for a meeting then you are within your rights to take the matter to the RCVS.

Who are you emailing?

When i had problems with my Vet r.e the lost of Jasmine, i took it higher, i discussed it with the Practice Manager?

I would be disgusted at recieving such an email. You may not get anything from them. Is it possible to go elsewhere? There attitude says it all really.

i am sorry that you have been treated so horribly.

they must very shocked to have missed a big tumour and trying to watch their backs.

or perhaps it's just shaw. i complained that a dentist had hurt me a lot, and i was told to leave the practice.

Last edited:
It only takes one cancerous cell to be left behind for it to spread :(

We had Emmy-Lou here who had a tumour removed with her uterus and the vet thought they had been successful in its removal. But only 2 months later it had spread to her stomach and I think her liver too :(

As Cherry was picked up as a stray she may have been much much older than first thought and I guess there is a chance she developed cancer in her liver and lungs even if her uterus was fine :? But given that the 2 places she had it are the most common places for uterine cancer to spread it seems a bit conincidental.

It would be interesting to see the notes from Elaine's vets regarding her spay.

My vet did comment on the previous x-rays but only on the notes provided as I don't think they had access to the actual x-rays. She was shocked that the liver enlargement was missed as they had been taken so recently and it had obviously been going on for some time. Where as the shading on the lungs could well have been a more recent development.

If I were Louise and wanted more answers I would be contacting Elaine to see what showed up during the spay.

I would also seriously think about changing vets :(

If a spay is incomplete, then cancer can be an issue.

My Spice started getting phantom pregnancies randomly a couple of years after spay, & nipping other buns - she was always really submissive before.

Turned out her spay was incomplete (I knew she was done cos I had her done) & the remaining tissue had cancerous cells. She had it removed & was absolutely fine.

Well. Until she got myxi & was pts.:evil:

If you pay for x-rays of a pet-who do they belong to?

do they belong to the vet practice or do they belong to you?

(I have a nice vet and was given a disc with my rabbits x-rays on it (taken for arthritis.)

If the x-rays belong to you (?)then you could ask for them and have a look yourself?
-sue

Last edited:
If you pay for x-rays of a pet-who do they belong to?

do they belong to the vet practice or do they belong to you?

(I have a nice vet and was given a disc with my rabbits x-rays on it (taken for arthritis.)

If the x-rays belong to you (?)then you could ask for them and have a look yourself?
-sue

The actual film belongs to the Vet.

Back