• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is a binky?

so like a surge of endorphins?

Yes I think so, I know your thinking about the physicality but, I think if the rabbit is healthy that the emotional side triggers a physical response as you say like endorphins being released which activate the 'jump' reflex, bit like a little kid skipping with happiness or a dog rolling around (like mine does) when she is relaxed and happy.

I think it's an instinctive thing rabbits do to prepare for an occasion when they might need to run from predators....kinda like how kittens play to prepare for hunting.

...although that doesn't explain why hares box??? :? :?

I think it's an instinctive thing rabbits do to prepare for an occasion when they might need to run from predators....kinda like how kittens play to prepare for hunting.

...although that doesn't explain why hares box??? :? :?

Why do hares box?
Boxing occurs during March/April when two hares stand on their back legs and 'box' each other with their front feet. The behaviour can be quite intense and gives rise to the name the ‘Mad March Hare’. Boxing is part of courtship behaviour and is usually the female warning off unwanted males rather than fighting between two males.

http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/naturalconnections/questions/page_4

Given that bunnies are understood to binky when they're happy I've always just assumed it's literally a "jump for joy" as VickiP explained. I know when I get really good news I often run round a little to release the giddiness :oops: and imagine bunnies feel the same - that's just my hypothesis though and not based in any kind of fact :lol:

Its just sometimes it seems to creep up on them, and afterwards they have this look on their face like "wtf happened there?!"

I think they all have tourrettes

Julie often looks like she does or is having some kind of seizure. Really it seems that other rabbits are much more graceful when they binky. Julie crashes and slides into stuff all the time. She does a side kinda half twisty binky that when she she is finished,she is facing the oposite direction. Does anyone else's bunny do theses?

Back