• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Initial consult fees

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Just realised our vets have put their prices up again :shock: It is now £27.99 for an initial consult :( When you consider we take 3 to 5 rabbits in every week that is really going to add up. Obviously follow ups are cheaper but this time last year they were only £23.50

Thats outragous Liz! Will they offer you a discount when you become a registered charity? Might sway them a bit :?

I'm a bit cheeky with that - I get charged £21, but go up with two - after only booking one in. And when I book I call them "re-checks", so it's free:oops: Joey has had 3 rechecks & initial visit for £21, & Suki (myxi bun) still hasn't got the all clear & has been going for a re-check every couple of weeks since Sept:oops::oops::oops::oops: They must hate me:oops: The Receptionist seems to have clicked, but I lent her money, & I see diff vets all the time:oops::lol:

With you going up so much will your vets do you a deal? I get a 10% discount:D

Thats outragous Liz! Will they offer you a discount when you become a registered charity? Might sway them a bit :?

Don't be silly :lol::lol:

We have asked for discounts twice before ( well hinted strongly ) but nothing came of it. They wont even let us have an account still, we have to pay every single time

:shock::shock::shock:

I pay £16 which I thought was high enough - follow ups are the same price though. A cat consult is about £30.

Liz, you are too nice I think. You have said you have only "hinted" at it and maybe therein lies the problem.

What about doing them a business letter saying that you want to continue helping the bunnies you do, but you cannot absorb their (vets) recent increase and as, without doubt you one of their most regular clients, would be grateful if they would continue to treat your bunnies at their old charges. You can tell them that you have a great confidence in the way they treat your bunnies but your Financial Board (or another fictious name) have told you that you cannot continue as a Sanctuary if the charges increase as it is not currently matching your fundraising blah blah blah.

I would go for this Liz as, if you don't assert yourself and formally ask, they wont come to you and say lets give you a deal. Although I accept that vets are businesses, I do think they could be more financially supportive of rescues.

That really is steep :shock::shock: I've just checked my invoice and Artie's consult with FHB last week was £19.65, a 'repeat' consult as he was seen 6 weeks earlier. The first consult is about £24 - £25.

It would nearly be cheaper for you to employ your own in-house vet :lol:

I wonder how much of this is driven by insurance - if you're claiming off your pet insurance then you can stand the higher charges.

I was charged £19 for a re-check on a hamster!

I don't actually know how much mine are, i never ask just pay the bill :eek:pps: I am sure its not that much though :? Do you want me to do you a letter or something to them over the weekend?

My old vet was £32 for the first consultation :(
I think it was £25 for followups...

A bit rubbish considering most of the time it was just a quick in and out and the vets hardly did anything...

OMG that's really high :? I thought mine was bad at £16.

On a vaguely related topic, my vet once mentioned to me that they *have* to price the rabbit consult less than the cat/dog one because otherwise a lot people aren't willing to pay it - they say they won't pay that much because "its just a rabbit" *sigh* :cry:

Our vets are quite good but sometimes it is more than annoying when you take a bun in and say
This rabbit has a bite on its nose and can I have some baytril

the vet replies....oh yep she has hasn't she..

You then go to reception and pay for the baytril,,and 30p for a bottle:roll:..and a consult fee..

but they do give us discount on neuters and vacs..and are very good with bunnies:D

I think mine is £20 for rabbits but they are quite good and one of the super quick visits with nothing dispensed wasn't charged at all.

I have a pile of receipts from recent vet visits, and they seem to say £8.05 for the consulation ... but it's probably the follow-up charge as most of these have been for a repeat visit I think.

They always do free consultations following an op.

Liz - I think it's crazy that you can't get an account at your vets :shock: Shall we do an RU petition to implore them to be more reasonable!

Our vets are quite good but sometimes it is more than annoying when you take a bun in and say
This rabbit has a bite on its nose and can I have some baytril

the vet replies....oh yep she has hasn't she..

You then go to reception and pay for the baytril,,and 30p for a bottle:roll:..and a consult fee..

but they do give us discount on neuters and vacs..and are very good with bunnies:D

I have lost count of the number of times I have taken a bunny up and said it needs a dental and they have said yes it does and thats £25 :roll: :lol:

I don't actually know how much mine are, i never ask just pay the bill :eek:pps: I am sure its not that much though :? Do you want me to do you a letter or something to them over the weekend?

Thanks thats really kind, but I think we will wait a little longer if you know what i mean ;) and then we will be in a better position to ask :)

this thread has made me wonder! i have no idea how much is for what when i take mine to the vets, i just pay the bill:oops: best find my receipts......

:shock::shock::shock:
Mine are £8.50 for the initial consult, and £6.50 for follow ups... Dog is £22 for initial, £18 for follow up, cat is slightly less :?

Back