• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of indoor cage

clarebear

Mama Doe
A friend has given me a free indoor cage. The only trouble is it only measures 76cm wide x 48cm deep x 46cm high. This isn't big enough for a rabbit is it? He would only poop and sleep in there.

To be honest, I'd only use it for a base, i wouldnt shut a bunny inside it.

(My Jose used to live in one of these when we first got her, but now we just use it as a base)

Just worried it's too small even for a base. I was thinking he could maybe go in it, when he has his 'op'!

It's fine if he won't be shut in it but not to shut him in at night or anything - it's under 3ft x 2ft :?

I wouldn't use the cage top bit at all with a cage that is so very small (lol my hamsters' cages are all bigger than that!)

It isn't fit to use for a 'base' at all in my opinion other than using the plastic bit as a nice big litter tray! But at least now you have it no-one else can use it as a rabbit cage. :)

Mmmmm, I may freecycle it as a piggy cage.

No please don't! :(

Piggies need lots of room too! They need at least 4ft x 2ft space to live in. Mine have a cage that is almost 6ft long and they love it. Don't give that cage to anyone. It's just too small for anything! :?

Sounds like it would make a good litter tray inside a decent NIC set-up. I agree with Hanlou, far too small for guinea pigs, it's actually smaller than my hamster cage and that has 1 Syrain living in it.

that would make a nice litter tray for your bun/s.
please dont sell it on, its far to small for anything to live in.

Okay, I plan to keep as a giant littler tray for if Bramble comes indoors! Thanks for the advice. Feel much happier about this now. :)

Rather than a littertray, you could use it as an interesting 'dig box'. You could do sand one week, soil the next, compost the next, shreddd paper the next, etc. It's great environmental enrichment.

I have a smallish indoor cage too, the babies have it in the livingroom with their litter tray in it and the loads of hay, it truely is great because it stops the floor getting messy! I dont shut them in there though. :) I also have a water bottle attached to it to, as well as a water bowl on the floor but not in the cage if you know what I mean!!! If you buy some NIC cubes, you can make an enclosure with the base of the indoor cage in it :)

Rather than a littertray, you could use it as an interesting 'dig box'. You could do sand one week, soil the next, compost the next, shreddd paper the next, etc. It's great environmental enrichment.

Oooh I like that idea :D Thank you.

I have a smallish indoor cage too, the babies have it in the livingroom with their litter tray in it and the loads of hay, it truely is great because it stops the floor getting messy! I dont shut them in there though. :) I also have a water bottle attached to it to, as well as a water bowl on the floor but not in the cage if you know what I mean!!! If you buy some NIC cubes, you can make an enclosure with the base of the indoor cage in it :)

Great idea. I might just use it as a base if and when Bramble has his op, but I wouldn't shut him in.

Back