• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Critical Care Advice

Adorabunny

Warren Scout
Hi

I’m new here but have been reading posts for a while now. I have just come back from the vets with my bunny, Lucca, he's a neutered 2 1/2 year old nethie x mini lop who lives indoors. He is normally well but he has had a few very quiet, sleepy days, eating normally but pooping less than normal.

The vet couldn't find anything wrong but said he may have a slowed gut so has given me Zantac, 0.3ml twice a day for 3 days. She also gave me critical care, she said to give him 30ml 3 times a day. I have no experience with Critical Care but that seems an awful lot to give him, does that sound like the the right amount?

It’s only a very minor gut stasis (he’s eating, and running around today but still pooping a bit less) so would you even give your bunny Critical Care, seems drastic?

Thanks for your help

Julia

I am reluctant to syringe feed unless it is a last resort due to the stress involved.

He might like the taste so would be willing to eat it from a spoon or bowl :)

Have you considered trying him with some fibreplex for a few days? It might help

we are back! Dumps got some zantac too but fibreplex to bring home. My vet never mentioned critical care as i said he is still eating a bit of hay, he said to keep an eye on him and give the fibreplex and go back if he gets any worse.
Hope your bun is doing better :)

I've just given him the Zantac, which went down with minimal fuss and stress. I'm going to see how he goes with just the Zantac for a day as i'm not sure about the critical care. What do people think about the critical care dosage?

He was still in a sulk with me over going to the vets, he's even grumpier now :roll: Mummy has some serious making up to do!!!

Critical Care isn't a medicine, it's just a powdered food with extra vitamins in it, so 30mls sounds about right for an average size rabbit.

Rabbits need fibre to keep their guts working. Unlike most other animals, they can't survive for long periods without eating fiberous foods...the critical care provides this much needed fibre

To correctly calculate the amount of Critical Care to feed, the weight of the rabbit needs to be known.

According to Oxbow the manufacturers, the dosage is 15gms per kilogram of body weight. I have measured this and a level measuring teaspoon is a little more than 3gms. So 15gms is about 4.5 teaspoons. Note this is a proper measuring spoon not just any teaspoon. It needs to be mixed with twice the volume of water as a minimum.

As an example with a bun weighing 1Kg: 15gms or 4.5 teaspoons of dry Critical Care. A measuring teaspoon holds 5mls of water, so 9 spoons of water = 45mls plus the 22.5mls of Critical Care for a rounded total of 68mls. This is the total for a 24 hour period. Divide this by the number of feeds (4 to 6) and it will give the individual feed amount. It is better to prepare fresh before each feed as it tends to dry if stored in the refrigerator as recommended by the manufacturers.

I have used Critical Care based on this formula for several years with great success, including one bun weighing 3.4Kg. They don't always appreciate it but that's much the same as meds.

I know what you mean about the amount and I confess I have never managed to get all of it in. I think even some of it helps though - while no bun likes being syringe fed they do seem to quite like the actual stuff and I think that even a smaller amount might help keep their bowels going and stimulate them to eat more them selves. I cut the end of a 1ml syringe to make it easier to draw up and sometimes make it waterier than they recommend particularly if I am not sure if they are drinking much. SOme buns will lick the end of the syringe which makes it all much easier.

Sorry, I didn't notice your replies until now. :oops:

No, he didn't get any pain relief. We couldn't see the exotics vet on our first trip as she was on holiday, I didn't really trust the vet we did see, she kept leaving the room to go ask other vets/nurses out the back - she even took my poor boy out the back to be re-examined by another vet!!! She was gone ages!! :shock: :(

Anyway, I have good news - Lucca is all back to normal and got a clean bill of health from the exotics vet this evening :D:D:D

Thanks for all your help and advice. :love:

Back