• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jose has small spikes on her back molars, advice needed please

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
As the title says really....

The vet checked her teeth yesterday when she went for her myxi jab and she said her teeth were "ok" but just "ok". The vet advised to have them checked in 6months when she goes back for her next booster jab (unless she starts dribbling, not eating, teeth grinding etc before then) but what can I do to help her teeth in the meantime? Is it just a case of trying to get her to eat more hay? She's only 9months old :(

6 months is a long time!

Brian went from having 'perfect' teeth to having sharp spurs in about 4 weeks, and even though they were making his tongue sore, there were no external signs whatsoever.

lots and lots of hay, good quality green stuff that she enjoys (dust free hay www.dustfreehay.co.uk are good). You might also need to limit her diet a little by cutting back on her pellets to around an egg cup ful a day. Veggies are better than pellets at wearing down teeth. Give her cardboard boxes, willow balls and other wooden toys to chew on as well,

If she does look like she will need a dental, try contacting PVC clinic in coventry. There is a vet there called Rebecca who does concious dentals which if she needs long term dental care is around £15 a time, rather than up to £150 for one with a GA. It can make it a lot easier to keep a dental bunny on.

I would probably take her back in for a check up in around 2 months time (unles there are any other signs). You can then get an idea of how they are growing and if improved diets has worked.

I would agree that 6 mths seems a long while to wait - Bubbles also went form having slight spurs to really bad problems in about 4 weeks as well.

There's lots of good advice from the ecudc, so I'll just agree with all that she's said. :thumb:

I also want to add though that it's not all doom and gloom and try not to worry unneccessarily. It's good that it's been spotted so you can keep a very close eye on Jose, but it might also be nothing.

Bubbles only needed one dental and that was last February. When Alfie had his vhd jab last July, the vet noticed some very slight spurs but they wore down by themselves and have never caused him a problem since and his teeth are now fine.

It's good to be aware, but don't worry yourself yet that it's going to mean a lifetime of problems. :):)

i wouldn't worry too much but i also wouldn't leave it 6 months as this is the first time its been noticed in jose. you soon become aware of what your bun does when they may need a dental so it would probably help you too to know how much they may have grown in say 6-8 weeks and see if you can spot any changes in her food preferences or behaviour.

i had to go through a phase of having eric's teeth checked every 4 weeks, then every 6 weeks as when he was really poorly, he didn't (couldn't:() eat much of anything. finding hay that the bun really likes and sees as a 'treat' in addition to their normal stuff helps (i find adding burns green oat several times a day to what he already has in his tray makes eric forget about differentiating btw the types) and if needs be, don't give many pellets until you're sure she's had a good munch on hay (sounds harsh i suppose but it worked for me).

Aww! Poor Jose!! Just try and tempt her to eat squillions more hay! Do her lovers eat lots of hay? Getting Winter made Rimmi eat loads hay!! They do say little 'uns are prone to dental problems :( Luckily my two like wooden chews and things as well as their hay, I have to buy them new wooden toys though because they get bored of the same ones after a few weeks but its worth it. Hope Jose doesnt need a dental too soon xxxx

Hopefully loads of hay and plenty of willow and wooden chews/toys will mean she won't need a dental. Fingers crossed for Jose.

lots and lots of hay, good quality green stuff that she enjoys (dust free hay www.dustfreehay.co.uk are good). You might also need to limit her diet a little by cutting back on her pellets to around an egg cup ful a day. Veggies are better than pellets at wearing down teeth. Give her cardboard boxes, willow balls and other wooden toys to chew on as well,

If she does look like she will need a dental, try contacting PVC clinic in coventry. There is a vet there called Rebecca who does concious dentals which if she needs long term dental care is around £15 a time, rather than up to £150 for one with a GA. It can make it a lot easier to keep a dental bunny on.

I would probably take her back in for a check up in around 2 months time (unles there are any other signs). You can then get an idea of how they are growing and if improved diets has worked.

I think I'd prefer her to have a conscious one as she went into stasis after her spay and I'm worried it was the GA that didnt agree with her

Jose and Rainbow only have about a handful of SS pellets a day between them which probably works out to about an eggcup each as I dont have big hand :lol:

I'll definately take her back in a couple of months to get them checked :D

Thanks for the advice :D

Try making hay more interesting - stuff it into toys or hide their pellets/veggies in it so she eats more hay almost by accident!

We put hay into hanging baskets so the buns have to stretch to get it, and they really enjoy snuffling around to find the tastiest bits - keeps ours entertained for hours!:roll::lol:

I was told the same thing by a locum last year when I took mine in for their vaccs... when I went back I saw my normal bunny savvy vet and he said he didn't know why I'd been told that, that her teeth were absolutely fine. I've never had any problems and every time she has her teeth checked he says they're excellent.
Now when I make the appointment I make it clear that I only want to see him.

I wouldn't wait until she needed a dental especially if Jose has already had a bout of stassis. Once they get spurs rubbing on the soft tissue or tongues they can stop eating through the pain:(

I was told the same thing by a locum last year when I took mine in for their vaccs... when I went back I saw my normal bunny savvy vet and he said he didn't know why I'd been told that, that her teeth were absolutely fine. I've never had any problems and every time she has her teeth checked he says they're excellent.
Now when I make the appointment I make it clear that I only want to see him.

Ive had a similar experience, I took Charlie for one vacc told he had spikes, went back for another vacc, different vet and told they were find :roll:

Try making hay more interesting - stuff it into toys or hide their pellets/veggies in it so she eats more hay almost by accident!

We put hay into hanging baskets so the buns have to stretch to get it, and they really enjoy snuffling around to find the tastiest bits - keeps ours entertained for hours!:roll::lol:

I've actually bought some of these, just need to fix them to the NIC grids :D I'm increasing their pens tonight so i'll hopefully get them fixed up aswell :)

I might try putting the pellets in the hanging basket and see if they can find them :D

Honey had this in March last year. She has been OK since then touch wood. I use about 5 - 10 Oxbow Bunny Basics pellets, three different veg a day, she has normal meadow hay dustfree in her litter tray, a separate basket of timothy or orchard grass and some dried herbs dandelion or plantain. In the spring/summer I pick fresh grass and dandies and plantain to go in her litter tray for foraging and to help her teeth. She does have one fenegreek crunchies a day though.

Lots and lots of hay :) Have you ever tried them on the burns hay? Our buns love that stuff! They go mad for it and eat every last strand :)

As for the dentals, dont know if its any nearer, may even be futher away as my geography skills are terrible but theres a fab vet in Wolverhampton that does concious dentals too. Hopefully with the hay eating she will be ok :) xXx

I attached the half hanging baskets to the side of the NIC grids and Jose thinks it's another litter tray for her, so she jumps up and sits in it and uses it as a toilet :roll: any ideas how i can get her to stop it, cos I'm scared of her trapping her legs? If I put it up any higher they wont be able to reach it

Lots and lots of hay :) Have you ever tried them on the burns hay? Our buns love that stuff! They go mad for it and eat every last strand :)

As for the dentals, dont know if its any nearer, may even be futher away as my geography skills are terrible but theres a fab vet in Wolverhampton that does concious dentals too. Hopefully with the hay eating she will be ok :) xXx

Where do you get the Burns hay from please?

As far as diet goes, you've got to give foods that promote the natural rhythm of a rabbits mouth. In the wild rabbits predominantly eat grass, they don't chew up and down on grass, they grind their jaws from side to side instead. So you should feed foods that cause the same movement.

Pellets cause buns to eat in an un-nautural up and down movement, whereas hay, and leaves cause the grinding action.

Ideally therefore, anything like hay, grass, dandelion, plantain, herbs, spring greens are OK. Travis isn't good at eating hay, so I grow my own grass trays, dandelion and herbs for him. He also has a daily helping of a variety of dried herbs such as those you can get at the hay experts, wilkinsons or P@h. He also has the excel herbage - although mainly eats the marigold and dandelion parts and leaves the rest :roll:

Back