• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dumps is under the weather :-(.....help please!

PearlyGirl

Mama Doe
Dumps has seemed a bit quiet for a couple of days.....he's usually the liveliest of the 3 but has been happy to stay in his house. He has been eating and drinking/pooping fine as well. He has really eaten today and can't be sure he's pooped either, i have had him in the living room on his own to see if he is pooing or not but after a two minute run about he was desperate to get back in his house with the other two. I have felt his tummy and it feels ok, have given some infacol just in case too. I can't be sure but when i got up this morning one of thier carrots out of the carrot patch toy had disappeared so i'm thinking one of them has chewed and eaten it :shock:
I have him booked in the vets for 2pm but has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong???
also his poo last night was oval shaped rather than round :(

Hi

I've never posted before but have been reading posts for a while now. Your post rang a bell with me because I have just come back from the vets with my bunny, Lucca, who has had very similar symptoms for the last 2 days. He is normally well but he has had a few very quiet, sleepy days with less poops than normal although eating normally. The vet couldn't find anything wrong but said he may have a slowed gut so has given me Zantac and critical care, which feels a bit drastic (I have done a separate post - Critical Care Advice - so as not to hog your post). Will be interesting to see how your bun got on.

I hope all goes well

xx

We are back from the vets. The vet examined Dumplings stomach, took his temperature etc etc. couldn't find anything wrong really. I explained he may have eaten the carrot patch toy made of cardboard and said that may have constipated him so gave him an injection of zantac and gave me some fibreplex to bring home.Dumps is currently in the litter tray eating hay :).......i'm sure that bunny loves me spending money on him!!!!

p.s - the vet (who is not usually fussed by rabbits) took a real shine to Belle. said she was very trusting, fit , strong and intelligent. He even had a nose to nose rub with her, i nearly died of shock! :lol:

We are back from the vets. The vet examined Dumplings stomach, took his temperature etc etc. couldn't find anything wrong really. I explained he may have eaten the carrot patch toy made of cardboard and said that may have constipated him so gave him an injection of zantac and gave me some fibreplex to bring home.Dumps is currently in the litter tray eating hay :).......i'm sure that bunny loves me spending money on him!!!!

p.s - the vet (who is not usually fussed by rabbits) took a real shine to Belle. said she was very trusting, fit , strong and intelligent. He even had a nose to nose rub with her, i nearly died of shock! :lol:

Awwwwww so pleased that Dumps is feeling better now :D

He's sat in the tray and won't move out...he has a look of concentration on his face :)
Hopefully he'll be better soon, next drama - Belle's spay in two weeks :lol:

Oh glad he's gonna be ok. Lucca was still sulking with me after the vet visit, he's even grumpier now after giving him his smelly Zantac stuff!! Serious sulks and rebellion going on here :lol:

No he didn't give him any as he said he really thought he wasn't in pain (however i do have metacam that belongs to Stew ;))
I just gave him some fibreplex and 5 mins later he 'went'....i even examined it to make sure it was warm and not some from the bottom of the tray that had been hiding, god i'm getting obsessed with these buns :):)
Still not eating his tea but has had a bit more hay.
Just thinking Jane...other than the toy carrot that could be the culprit, been tryin to think what he has eaten in the last few days (altho he has been quiet for about a week but appetite was fine) he has had usual pellets, hay, carrot, bit of banana and some alfalfa balls,could any of these have caused a problem?

Last edited:
No he didn't give him any as he said he really thought he wasn't in pain (however i do have metacam that belongs to Stew ;))
I just gave him some fibreplex and 5 mins later he 'went'....i even examined it to make sure it was warm and not some from the bottom of the tray that had been hiding, god i'm getting obsessed with these buns :):)
Still not eating his tea but has had a bit more hay.
Just thinking Jane...other than the toy carrot that could be the culprit, been tryin to think what he has eaten in the last few days (altho he has been quiet for about a week but appetite was fine) he has had usual pellets, hay, carrot, bit of banana and some alfalfa balls,could any of these have caused a problem?

If they are all foods he's used to then I doubt they are the cause of the problem. Although I dont feed my Buns any fruit and rarely feed carrot as both have high sugar content which can cause GI tract problems.

He isn't being bullied is he ?

I don't think so, he is still closer to Stew than Belle but they are all close now. Belle grooms him but never grooms Stew....it's like they both look after him if anything! good news, he just ate a couple of pellets and some veggies, fingers crossed he is on the mend. Thanks for your advice Jane, i'd be lost without you popping up to help! :)

Hard to tell as i've been at work today, will watch closely tonight/tomorrow and give some fibreplex again if i need to. He's eating and drinking fine now, still sat in the condo though while the girls are running about :? x

Back