• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Top Front Teeth Removed - Not able to eat

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Quinn had his top front teeth removed last Thursday as they were in a terrible state. He also had a molar removed.

Since then on the few occasions he has shown interest in food he seems unable to pick it up. If he does manage to get it into his mouth it then falls out.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

I presume he had his bottom teeth out too? When rabbits have teeth out the opposite tooth needs to come out too or it just grows really long with nothing to wear against.

His mouth maybe sore so it might be worth a trip to the vet for some painkiller. If he's not eating well the the vet my also be able to give him a gut stimulant.

Eating's important, as I'm sure you know, so try tempting him with bite sized portions of different foods. You could also try feeding his pellets softened with water, perhaps with a little apple or carrot grated on top to make the extra tempting.

what foods are you offering him? my french lop Pierre had all 6 front teeth and the top molars on one side removed and he though he can eat the burgess super excel pellets with out a problem muesli foods like russel rabbit or large irregular pellets like the science selective are too much for him.
hay of any size, of length he struggles with and veg has to be either cut of grated into bite size pieces.

He should deffo be on painkillers as his wee mouth must be sore.

As per Tamsins post, has he had all his front teeth out....he should have!!

I have a bun that has his front teeth out, he had them out before i got him, but he now manages great with everything. I just have to cut the food up into small chunks and long thin strips.

Id try making the food as small and managable as possible just now and hopefully bun will find that easier.

Ive never had a problem with Herbie eating hay, but alot of buns with their teeth removed need the hay cut up into small bits.

One thing to watch is that the teeth can actually grow back in over time. My Herbie's bottom tooth keeps growing in as a very yellow looking unhealthy tooth, but it keeps snapping off by it's self.

Your buns peg teeth at the top will probably grow in again too, but these are so thin that they usually snap off themselves too.

Thank you for your replies.

Quinn was on Metacam and Zantac but his bottom teeth are still intact. I had a vet appointment with the vet this am and asked about his bottom teeth. He said they wanted to remove them but were concerned about how long Quinn had been under the anithetic (sp?).

Quinn is now waiting at the vets for another op to remove his bottom teeth. I am praying he is ok.

:shock: they only told you about the bottom teeth when you asked them out them in his check up? Presumably if you hadn't they would have left them :shock:

try softening his pellets with water to make a mush and also give him grated carrots and apples and organic vetetable baby food if he's still having problems after the bottom teeth are removed. Long term he should be fine & you will probably find him eating just as well, if not better than before, especially hay.

Jeez!
His wee mouth will be sore if the bottom teeth are rubbing against where the top ones came out, poor baby.
He really needs those bottom teeth out!
Hope he is ok xx

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I have been feeding im baby food and he has access to SS soked in water.

He now has had his bottom teeth removed but is a very poorly baby.

I hope now we can start to improve.

Sending loads of vibes for Quinn, I hope he is feeling better soon.

It is a big operation and they can be difficult to remove so I guess if he was having problems under the GA it was best to bring him round early and carry on at another date

Thanks you, we both appreciate the vibes.

I am not really happy with the situation re vets particularly as Quinn had an impact surgically removed 2 weeks ago and so this is the 3 Thursday in a row where he has had a GA (they raised concerns yesterday that his tummy is starting to feel hard again). But I want to give them the benefit of the doubt as I have been with them for over 10 years and it was the vet I really trust.

I just pray this is the last GA for a while.

Aww poor little Quinn. I've got a toothless bunny now too and they do look awful after having the sugery don't they - I felt awful for Maddie. Luckily she is a very foodie bunny and tried very hard to eat straight after her op.

Have you got a food blender? I chucked all her veg into a hand blender and fed her the mush so that she didn't have to have anything rub on her sore gums for the first few days. Then i moved to a coarser mix and eventually to it just chopped up finely.

Important thing is to get some food and water in to him. has he had pain relief and have you got plenty to give for the next few days?

Thanks you, we both appreciate the vibes.

I am not really happy with the situation re vets particularly as Quinn had an impact surgically removed 2 weeks ago and so this is the 3 Thursday in a row where he has had a GA (they raised concerns yesterday that his tummy is starting to feel hard again). But I want to give them the benefit of the doubt as I have been with them for over 10 years and it was the vet I really trust.

I just pray this is the last GA for a while.

Wow he has done really well to get through all that, what a little fighter :love:

It is possible his tummy problems were related to his tooth problems and now they are being sorted hopefully his tummy will be OK :)

Well the vet said his tummy did not feel as hard today as it did yesterday so maybe we are on the right track.

He ate a little brocolli earlier too :D

He ate a little brocolli earlier too :D

Stick with it, a few months from now you'll be gazing in wonder at what your bun can do without his front teeth. Arthur had his removed 1.5 years ago, he can wrap his lips and tongue around grass, leaves...you name it! Anything that is edible he can now devour! I just help him with chopping up greens. He is also a reformed hay eater - he wasn't fussed before his op. :D

My bunny had his teeth out and now he has one that grows that has to be trimmed every 3 wks ish...he has no problem grazing,eating leaves, eating excel pellets. With his veg i grate it carrots apples and break the rest up into pieces of greens or bananas. Im sure he will be soon eating like my harry they just need some time to adjust hope hes ok x

Back