• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm going to hell for sure

lauraocal

Warren Scout
I feel so awful.
I was cutting my bunnies nails today and cut one too short, I cant believe it. I have been doing them for over a year now and this has never happened.
I feel so awful.
Her poor nail was bleeding, I feel so bad.
As if to make matters worse, she didnt even run away from me but has stayed real close to me since it happened making me feel totally awful.

Has anyone else ever done this or am I the only awful bunny mum here?

Yep! I've been cutting their nails since I got them, but caught Gussy's a few weeks ago, I felt so bad I nearly cried, he is the most soft, gentle bunny ever! He licked me afterwards, I felt soo guilty :(

He soon forgot though...and still loves me :love:

ive done worse.... i pack them up get em all stressed and take them to the vets to get it done and they have made both Alvin and Pearl bleed.... im going to hell too :wave::wave:

I have done this to Strawberry before. His nails are black and he doesnt hold still so its really tricky.

My bunny is normally really independant and isnt normally this clingy at all.
It all just makes you feel worse dont it?
I did cry a little.. I would just go to the vets to get it done like i used to but i got them to show me how to cut them and how to tell whats to short for her, she would get way to stressed out at the vets and I only take her once a year for her jabs and a check up as a result.
Not sure if I will feel ok doing it again now.:cry:

ste wont help me because he once made ralph bleed, he never got over it lol

if you get that static (i think) powder the bleeding will stop instantly.. thats what the vets nurse used when she made mine bleed... treats lead to forgiveness ;)

I cant treat her too much cos if i start messing with her diet she gets a mucky bum.. although I gave her some dried apple and one rasin. She was just licking her foot for a while to make it stop bleeding. It was bleeding alot though i was quite shocked at the amount of blood coming from her little nail.

awww see shes already forgiven you :love::love:

in this house if a bunny accepts a treat that means they cant brood no more and i am forgiven... (i need to be forgiven alot :lol::lol::lol:)

my old vet cut theo's nails to the quick before! Shocking really . If i was more bunny savvy at the time i would have flipped :evil:

Yep i made my Joey bleed last week, he is the only one that wouldn't hold still and i ending up catching a back leg nail too low, it seemed to bleed forever but he was fine as i gave him a few banana chips. When i first got buns and the vet did them she also made 2 of them bleed so sometimes it can't be helped, don't beat yourself up about it.

It happens. Just keep a styptic (sp?) pen that men use to clot themselves if they sustain a nick whilst shaving or have cornflour to hand. Cornflour is a coagulant and will stop the bleeding :)

I haven't clipped them too short yet, but I am petrified that I will someday! Milo's nails are clear, but Eddison's are black and it's hard to tell when I need to stop. :shock:

At least in the US, they sell the styptic powder in a bottle at the pet store. It's called KwikStop. I have it next to me whenever I cut the buns' nails, with a little bit poured into the cap. It just gives me some peace of mind. :)

http://www.petco.com/product/6112/Kwik-Stop-Styptic-Powder.aspx

We cut Raisins too short a while ago and I still have the scar on my hand from him kicking out to prove it!

Wife is so anxious about doing it since so now she holds whilst I cut.

Back