• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats & Bunnies!

Charm

Young Bun
I have a problem and want some advice. I have 5 rabbits who live in my shed. Unfortunately one of my neighbours that lives around the corner has a new cat. Its about a year old now. The problem is it keeps coming and hanging around my garden. As soon as I open the shed to let some fresh air in it appears out of nowhere. I have let my two little dogs out to chase the rascal away. But what I would like to know is can a cat kill any of my rabbits. My rabbits know when its around because they all stamp their feet. But in the summer I tend to let them out to have a run around the garden as they cannot get out. Gosh will I have to watch them constantly because this is not going to work I do not have time to sit and watch them. Any advice would be helpful.:cry:

Unfortunately a cat could certainly kill your rabbits. I would say you need to attach an avairy type run to your shed, with no way in for the cat. That way if you put a cat flap in the door of the shed the buns can come and go as they please. I'd say they'd apprieciate the extra space anyway, as 5 rabbits is rather a lot for one shed.

Maybe you could speak to your neighbour too, and ask her if she can't keep the cat in her own house and garden? You could point out this would be safer for the cat too! Good luck.

Thanks Hoppit. But there is no way I could go to this family and say that, they would tell me where to go (that kind of family). I know 5 is rather a lot but most of them are rescues. One is about 10 year old bless him. Every time I see it in my garden I run out like a maddie and chase it away. Normally the few cats around get the message and dont come back but this animal must be a bit thick!!! Keeps coming back for more.:cry: I do not have the room for a run onto the hut so I cannot do that either.

Oh dear. Had you thought of making your fence cat-proof then? That's probably the next best thing. There are loads of different ways if you Google 'cat proof fence' - they should keep foxes at bay too.

Please be careful, I lost one of my bunnies to a neighbour's cat in September :( She was in a secure 8x4 run but was near to the edge of the wire - the cat came over the fence and grabbed her through the wire. We were only feet away. :(

I have six cats (three Persians/three moggies) and trust them as much as it is possible to do (I don't leave them together unattended though).

The answer to your question is sadly yes, and I wouldn't wish what I saw on anyone.

Although it could end up being a little pricey, oranges are good for keeping cats away. They don't like the smell of citrus apparently.

We bought some citrus oil and placed it on the base of our christmas tree one year, that didn't work so I bought some oranges and cut them into quarters. The cats refused to go within a couple of feet of the tree after that.

Sarah so sorry to hear about your little bunny, thats so sad.

fluffyfred will try the oranges, thanks for that.

If you see Puss in the garden,spray him with water and be noisy at him.He may learn after a while.
I have 3 cats and 3 bunnies with no bother...but you cant trust a predator...its in the blood.

someone told me that if you put a little washing up liquid in the water that you use to spray cat, that helps as they don't like anything sticky on their fur!

both myself and my son lost bunnys to a cat,,a huge tabby thing,,,he had two of mine and my sons first ever bun,,and mine were in the garage, blooming thing kept finding gaps,,,under doors ,,windows and each time i filled them he,d make another ,,,after he killed andrews little black rex i gave him,,he was only 11 at the time and he broke his heart,,i used to let our dog chase him,,he never got it though ,,thank goodness,,,but he bit off more than he could chew,,when he attacked my two ermine rexs, brother and sister,,they were huge,, he attacked dove,,her brother dave joined in and there was cat fur everywhere ,,poor ole cooking fat as i called him,,well sorta that,,:lol He never came back though

If you don't have time to supervise their free range could you get a large secure run to go in your garden? I have one that I move around the garden. Where are they exercising during the winter? It might be safer to let them have their out of the shed time in the house if you can't get a run or watch them in the garden

I wouldn't leave mine unsupervised incase a cat came into the garden, when I am supervising mine free ranging I put my cat in the garden with them because other cats tend to just stay on the fence while Smirnoff is outside so at least I don't have to follow the buns around trying to scare off other peoples cats :lol:

Well to be honest they have not been out much because of the cold wet weather plus I have my mum sick and my sister very very sick with advanced breast cancer. So they have had a run about in the shed at various times. The thing is I can only let one out at a time because they would fight. So you can understand why I dont have time to let them out in the garden without watching them. Also I do not have the time at the moment to stand and watch them when they do come out. So some days they are not getting out atall.:cry:

someone told me that if you put a little washing up liquid in the water that you use to spray cat, that helps as they don't like anything sticky on their fur!

Id be worried about the washing liquid getting in the cats eyes

I'm sorry about your situation.:( TBH I would never let my bunnies out free-ranging unsupervised. Cats are not the problem; I have two of my own and they avoid the rabbits. I have also seen one of my bunnies chasing my neighbour's cat!:roll: I think that foxes pose an even bigger threat than the cats.:( I think that buying a fox proof run is the safest option.

I don't think the cat will harm your rabbits, but a fox is the real danger. Several people on here (including myself) have lost rabbits to foxes they never knew were around :( so you must always take all precautions against foxes, such as a secure run.

Thanks girls it looks like they wont be getting out free range unless I am there. Even if it means a run round the shed for a few hours each till I am able to watch them. Cannot risk losing any of them they are too precious.

Back