• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Educating people?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
I do the rabbit rehome section for my local rspca and manage any email enquiries they get. We've been quite busy lately which is great but I've just had a lovely message from a breeder wanting one of our bunnies! Not wanting to have a proper go at her, but do people not see the connection with over breeding and rescues being full to the brim?? So so sad.

I'll have to write a very carefully worded email back to her.....and see if she can see sense!
Gah!!

how about,
how loverly to hear you are wanting to rescue a bunny, its so nice to hear of breeders who change thier minds about breeding and decide to rescue instead and understand the stresses that the bunnys who get neglected and given up due to children getting bored etc
all of our bunnys are nuetered to prevent uterine cancer which as you must be aware affects 85% of females over age 3years and to stop undesirable behaviours in males and allow them to be happily bonded in pairs as we all know bunnys love company.
were you after a bonded pair or were you thinkin of a bunny to bond one of your own pets with?
we do of course ensure that all bunnys are housed in a minimum of 6x3x2ft hutches wth atttatched runs of 6x6ft of course the bigger the better!!!

we will need you to sign to say all bunnys will be vaccinated for both myxi and vhd in the future, and that should they ever need a home they were returned to us (we do understand circumstances can change)
do get in touc hif we can be of further help

Yeh - she actually wants our rescue bunny to breed from. Sorry, I didn't make that clear!!!!

ok then how about this
its great to consider you want a rescue bun but i think your purposes and ours would sadly be at odds,
as a good breeder you must be aware of the genetic problems that can occour when breeding and a rescue bun has no genetic history so to speak as all buns who are bred from ideally should have 4 generations of helath available, this stops problems occouring or at least lessons the risk, also we have found that there are many uneducated breeders around who do not home check thier bunnys new home or take back unwanted bunnys(lifetime garentee) so find many get neglected or unwanted and this results in overcrowding of our rescues and many buns suffering without need or being homed "good to free home" resulting in the sad tale of snake food,
while im sure you are reputable and not this type of breeder you can understand why we would not consider a breeding home a good one for our bunnys, we simply do not know wher ethe babies will end up and also a female bun who is unspayed has a high risk of uterine cancer if over age 3yrs (85%) and this is wh yall our bunnys come ready spayed, also with some breeders due to accomodation being lax (agian wihtout seeing your set up i cannot know how yours are kept) there is a higher risk of ec in bunnies a higher risk of disease due to overcrowding and bunnys being force bred where a responsible breeder would only get 1-2 litters from each doe a year sadly many breed tehm fast and regularly, unfortunatly ethically i cannot rehome a bun to that situation.

if you do change your miind about breeding and decide to go with a rescue bun companion/pet option we would love to hear from you, they all have such unique charactors and are a great source of plesure in any home, our rehoming standereds as you can see from our website are that all bunnys go neutered to live in pairs or groups unless as house rabbits where they wil lneed a lot of human interaction(we even then prefer them paired) we would happily help in bonding a set of bunnies or to one of your own if you should choose this option, and will arrange a homecheck as accomodation sizes (6x2x3ft hutch attatched to 6x6ft run minimum per pair) must be met also,
all the best im sorry that im unable to help you on this occasion however i hope that you are one of the few responsible breeders and not one of the ones we are constanly clearing up after,
kindest regards

ok then how about this
its great to consider you want a rescue bun but i think your purposes and ours would sadly be at odds,
as a good breeder you must be aware of the genetic problems that can occour when breeding and a rescue bun has no genetic history so to speak as all buns who are bred from ideally should have 4 generations of helath available, this stops problems occouring or at least lessons the risk, also we have found that there are many uneducated breeders around who do not home check thier bunnys new home or take back unwanted bunnys(lifetime garentee) so find many get neglected or unwanted and this results in overcrowding of our rescues and many buns suffering without need or being homed "good to free home" resulting in the sad tale of snake food,
while im sure you are reputable and not this type of breeder you can understand why we would not consider a breeding home a good one for our bunnys, we simply do not know wher ethe babies will end up and also a female bun who is unspayed has a high risk of uterine cancer if over age 3yrs (85%) and this is wh yall our bunnys come ready spayed, also with some breeders due to accomodation being lax (agian wihtout seeing your set up i cannot know how yours are kept) there is a higher risk of ec in bunnies a higher risk of disease due to overcrowding and bunnys being force bred where a responsible breeder would only get 1-2 litters from each doe a year sadly many breed tehm fast and regularly, unfortunatly ethically i cannot rehome a bun to that situation.

if you do change your miind about breeding and decide to go with a rescue bun companion/pet option we would love to hear from you, they all have such unique charactors and are a great source of plesure in any home, our rehoming standereds as you can see from our website are that all bunnys go neutered to live in pairs or groups unless as house rabbits where they wil lneed a lot of human interaction(we even then prefer them paired) we would happily help in bonding a set of bunnies or to one of your own if you should choose this option, and will arrange a homecheck as accomodation sizes (6x2x3ft hutch attatched to 6x6ft run minimum per pair) must be met also,
all the best im sorry that im unable to help you on this occasion however i hope that you are one of the few responsible breeders and not one of the ones we are constanly clearing up after,
kindest regards

:thumb:
Great points in that!! And well put. I'll see how this goes down:D

:thumb:
Great points in that!! And well put. I'll see how this goes down:D

the reason iv kept it civil is that prehaps they genuinly dont understnad the reason rescues are against breeding and if i wrote something guns blazing then it will only get tehre backs up they wont listen to the points and wont understand the hope is this way they maybe think twice about breeding and at least think twice about breeding respoinsibly
i jsut think sometimes being nice reaps better rewards than sayin,
!
"we do not agree with breeding your practises are obviously not responsible if you think you can breed a rescue rabbit whos history you dont have you obviously know nothing of rabbits and genetics, and i have to say the cheek of you coming to a rescue for your "stock" outrages me as you are the reasons so many of these preciouus animals are here there is no way in hell we would rehome a bun to be bred form where they live in tiny hutches are forced to see their babies taken from them are raped frequently and have complications in birth or are over bred, then die of an early age of uterine cancer. or worse are offloaded or culled as they dont make expectations...."
while that may be what we think by putting a civil approach you may get them educated rather than annoyed and angry and hell bent on donig things their way....thats all.

lol its nto idont agree with you all!!! :):)

the reason iv kept it civil is that prehaps they genuinly dont understnad the reason rescues are against breeding and if i wrote something guns blazing then it will only get tehre backs up they wont listen to the points and wont understand the hope is this way they maybe think twice about breeding and at least think twice about breeding respoinsibly
i jsut think sometimes being nice reaps better rewards than sayin,
!
"we do not agree with breeding your practises are obviously not responsible if you think you can breed a rescue rabbit whos history you dont have you obviously know nothing of rabbits and genetics, and i have to say the cheek of you coming to a rescue for your "stock" outrages me as you are the reasons so many of these preciouus animals are here there is no way in hell we would rehome a bun to be bred form where they live in tiny hutches are forced to see their babies taken from them are raped frequently and have complications in birth or are over bred, then die of an early age of uterine cancer. or worse are offloaded or culled as they dont make expectations...."
while that may be what we think by putting a civil approach you may get them educated rather than annoyed and angry and hell bent on donig things their way....thats all.

lol its nto idont agree with you all!!! :):)

Yep, the conversations I've had with breeders I've gleaned that they don't really seem to understand the problem... it's not that most of them know about it and purposely put their animals through suffering, they just lazily breed off the back of apparently "age-old wisdom" about rabbits that they are children's pets, should be fed carrots, live in small hutches and are in the wild anyway, so it doesn't matter if they're exposed to the elements/give birth 10 times a year because "that's what wild rabbits do."

Back