• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someones making teeny weeny hutches :/

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I just found an ad on my local classified website...

"Description:
needing a hutch, ready the very next day, sizing from- 2ft by 1, 3by 1.5ft and up to 5ft but 1.5 starting from £20 and upwards depending on size, can build 2 story hutchs for more, any thing else email and will see what i can do, can deliver for and extra £5"

What in the world could you put in a 2ftX1ft hutch?? My mice had a bigger cage than that. :shock: Even the biggest he does still isn't big enough for bunnies.

I know the sensible thing to do is just ignore it as I doubt many people would order one but I can't help thinking I should email him a link to the rabbit welfare rules or something. :oops:

:shock: 2x1? Surely no one would be that stupid...
Wasn't there somewhere you could report petshops with inadequate housing?
Maybe the RWA? Someone posted about it a while ago I think...

I'd definitely report them.

Yeah, I figured he probably wouldn't get any orders for hutches that small :shock: I guess they could be used as a run shelter for small bunnies but definately not a full time home.

I was thinking maybe I could send this guy a polite message and make him aware of hutch size rules and whatnot... It seems as though he's unemployed and has a stack of wood to use up (if he can have a hutch ready next day, he must already have materials and a lot of spare time!). I doubt he's really thought through what a rabbit would require, just how to make some money. :?

Maybe the polite approach would pay off. I don't want to get him in trouble as he might just be unaware of basic bunny needs. If he ignores me, I'll contact the RWA and the RSPCA for sure.

I'm just not sure what to say! :roll: :lol:

Last edited:
I would like to know what can be done too, as my local pet shop sells hutches this small.:(
They smugly tell me they are within the law.They say they are selling them "for tortoise or chick shelters".:(

They say an RSPCA officer has called and made no comment about the tiny hutches.:( -sue

Have you tried contacting the Rabbit Welfare Association? They could maybe get in contact with the pet shop... I don't know what good it'd do to be honest but it might be worth a try.

I believe it's not against the law for pet shops to sell tiny hutches, it's the buyer who commits the offence by putting a rabbit in one that's too small. :censored: A lot of people don't realise this and end up with tiny hutches because the pet shop staff tell them they're suitable. I wonder if maybe you could get some kind of evidence that this shop is selling to people knowing they want them for rabbits? And then pass that information onto your local RSPCA.

I've sent the guy who posted the ad a link to a page I found detailing sizes needed for bunnies and guinea pigs but no reply as yet. :(

Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he doesn't know any better. I think education should come before reporting.

I wonder if maybe you could get some kind of evidence that this shop is selling to people knowing they want them for rabbits

difficult to do.
I am known to them so can hardly pretend I want to buy one myself. If I stood outside the shop questioning people who come out with a small hutch what type of animal are they going to put in it-
(a) they could lie to me
(b) if they tell me its for a rabbit I don't know who they are.
(c) I could get into problems if the shop call police to say i am harassing them as I have been very vocal in my views in the past and could clearly be seen outside the shop by staff
(d) I would have to go stand there all day everyday to wait and see when someone bought a tiny hutch-I really can't do that.

I think I will write to the council and see what joy that brings.-sue:wave:

I agree with the man making hutches to tell him and assume he doesnt know. I always give benefit of the doubt to start with.

Oh lordy, this guy has a picture on his advert now...

Stick a water bottle on that wire and that's going to be more or less all the natural light gone. :shock:

I sent him a message just letting him know of welfare standards, which he's obviously ignored seeing as he's posted a new advert. *Prays no one's silly enough to buy one*.

As for the pet shop issue, I'm not really sure what to suggest then other than contact with the council. Must be worth a try. :) I just hope the council over your way are better than they are here. I've complained about a local pet shop last week and i haven't heard a peep. :censored:

Oh lordy, this guy has a picture on his advert now...

Stick a water bottle on that wire and that's going to be more or less all the natural light gone. :shock:

I sent him a message just letting him know of welfare standards, which he's obviously ignored seeing as he's posted a new advert. *Prays no one's silly enough to buy one*.

As for the pet shop issue, I'm not really sure what to suggest then other than contact with the council. Must be worth a try. :) I just hope the council over your way are better than they are here. I've complained about a local pet shop last week and i haven't heard a peep. :censored:

That is a typical breeding hutch (not my choice of description) in fact I have seen them without the enclosed sleeping area and slightly smaller than that I think. They can be stacked 4 or 5 high and enable breeders to house a lot of rabbits in a small area. If they are 'farming'/breeding rabbits they are within the rules laid out by Defra, this is one of the reasons the rules on farming rabbits are so out of date and IMO unecessarily cruel, from what I can understand there is no specification for the size of the rabbit that can be housed in this type of box either, so clearly a small dwarf type rabbit would have more space than a large frenchie buck. It just beggars belief frankly, as I have said if we were in Africa and it was being done to sustain human lives in a village then it is kind of justified and at least the people would probably allow them out to exercise as they would have time to get them in and out, in a supposedly civilised country with adequate resources for much better standards it's outrageous and just damn right cruel.:evil:

Last edited:
Back