• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diet deficiency? Tooth problem?

Muppet2

Alpha Buck
Muppet has started gnawing on the walls. He might be licking rather than gnawing. This is not normal behaviour for him (he's took a chunk out of the plaster in my room about two years ago, nothing since. He's not really a chewy rabbit, though he does like to remodel cardboard boxes).

Could this be an indication of some deficiency in his diet? A way of expressing tooth pain?

Background - he has spondylosis in his neck, so eating is difficult for him lately. He doesnt eat pellets anymore, he does eat veg/hay but more in the evenings than the morning (ie, he seems to find it easier to eat later in the day). I think he's getting a decent range of veg into him. He has lost weight as a result so I've started him on a teaspoon of porridge oats twice a day. They have avipro plus in their water.

I have also noticed that after eating he lies down flat for a short while - this seems odd if the problem is with his neck so I wonder if there is something else :? But his stomach seems to be functioning normally - he eats, he poos - he's not quite as cheerful as he was but then who is when their neck hurts. He's cheerful enough and doesnt seem unhappy.

Back