• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental for 6-year old Nethie? (U/D photo)

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I just took in a pair of bunnies for ARC, one of them is a tiny 6-year old PEW Nethie boy. The owner dropped them off with me and said that he gets his teeth clipped every 8 weeks or so and that he seems to be eating fine. She brought a small bag of their food, the muesli type, "as they don't like pellets".

After she had left, I took a closer look at them. The female seems to be overweight and needs her nails clipped, but otherwise looks ok. But the little Nethie boy has soft poo stuck around his bottom, weepy eyes and the bottom front teeth are coming out of his mouth. When my bf is back, I'll let him help me with taking some photos. :(

The teeth have been clipped, but they still look terrible and grow in the wrong direction. I think the only option is to remove them completely, but is it very risky to do this a very small and quite old rabbit? Not sure how he can eat with those teeth, but it looks like his partner eats most of the food, anyway. I am sure our vet will know what to do, but I just wanted to hear some other stories of older and small bunnies having a GA etc..

Last edited:
Gwenny is an approx 10 year old 1kg dental bunny. She has had 2 dental successfully in the past 4 or 5 months. However they have been gas only GA.

For incisor extraction it would need a deep and lengthy GA. Eddie is only 2 and the vet will not remove his front teeth because of the GA risk so he has them burred every month. So I guess it depends on the individual bunny :?

Seperating them at feeding time sounds like a good idea at the moment.

Good luck with them they sound rather lovely ;) :love:

Thanks! They are a very sweet couple, and very inquisitive. The female is only 2 years old, a harlequin lop. She needs to be neutered. The owner wasn't aware that rabbits need vaccinations, it's amazing that there are still vets who don't recommend this.

Thanks! They are a very sweet couple, and very inquisitive. The female is only 2 years old, a harlequin lop. She needs to be neutered. The owner wasn't aware that rabbits need vaccinations, it's amazing that there are still vets who don't recommend this.
Are you sure that was the advice given by a Vet? It could have been that they clipped the teeth themselves :shock: horrid I know, but I know of one rescue that advised you how to do this on your buns :(

Are you sure that was the advice given by a Vet? It could have been that they clipped the teeth themselves :shock: horrid I know, but I know of one rescue that advised you how to do this on your buns :(

Yeah, I was wondering. She said she didn't dare to do it herself, so she either went to the vet or to something called pet club where someone clipped them for a small donation. :?

best not to know what a pet club is..... but i think a ga on a 6yr old is fine provided he has a decent heart and is otherwise well i think that a vet may be able to file them down so they begin(with the right diet) to grow normally again or alternativly remove them so he is not uncomfortable. xx ps iv had 9yr and 10yr old buns under ga without any problems jsut make sure its a vet you trust... coco has dentals he is 7yrs and has no issues though we try to make them few and far between where possible x

Jasmine is over 5 yrs old.....she had very overgrown incisors when she came to me and had them clipped initially then had a GA because my regular vet examined her and found her back teeth were awful.

He explained to me with diagrams how overgrown molars affect the incisors and cause malocclusion.....Jasmine has since had another dental and has had incisors burred every 2 or 3 weeks .

Shes not a teeny bunny but shes about the same age as your nethie .

Here's a photo of his teeth, the top ones are much shorter, but growing in a funny direction, too.

January2010064.jpg

And this is the little boy, his name is Ben, although we already have a little PEW Ben at ARC, so I may think of a new name for him.

January2010057.jpg

And this is his rather tubby wife Smudge:

January2010069.jpg

Although they might not make it all the way to Liz then... :lol:

Whilst I would obviously demand lots of cuddles :D, I am full up at the inn so he would be quite safe. If he were single, it might have been a different story as Sally Smookins is still looking for Mr Right.

Katie on the other hand does have a coat with large pockets..............I have seen it.

Back