• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long haired bunnies

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have a cashmere or a long haired bun?

I am struggling with Bungle, he is constantly matting despite daily grooming and he is getting bold patches. He hates being brushed as his skin is so fine it tugs on him and must make him sore.

Jill has had him for a week n half now and has suggested I speak to my vets about shaving him as he really is impossible to keep on top of and its making him miserable.

How do other people cope? Has anyone got a bunny that has to be shaved?

Fuzzums has long hair.
We leave her during winter as it helps keep her warm and brush her as much as we can.

however in the summer... last year we just trimmed her but this year, we are going to take abit more off.

not only does it tangle.. but it gets in her eyes too :(

if he is an indoor bunny... then i dont see why you cant shave him :)
aslong as he is warm enough, he should be fine xx

Thanks. I am going to take him to see my vet to see what they suggest. If he needs another dental soon I will ask for him to be done while he is under but fingers crossed his teeth are doing well at the minute.

Do you remember Dandelion?? One of my previous fosters?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192953&highlight=Dandelion+buttercup

I used to groom her daily, i mustve bought about 10 brushes before i found one that was half decent. At one point, she was so matted, Lucy shaved her at the salon. She looked so much better once she'd been done, it was summer time and it mustve been so much of a relief for her.

I think its a good idea to give him a break :) I think the vets do charge a fair bit to do it though :? xXx

Brushing just isnt working. Its too painful for him as it pulls on his skin no matter how gentle I am. I dont know any grooming places near me so unless someone can recommend somewhere I would rather he was done at the vets.

Did Dandelion and Buttercup go to live with Kelly? I did her homecheck when she was thinking of adopting from Jill.

Brushing just isnt working. Its too painful for him as it pulls on his skin no matter how gentle I am. I dont know any grooming places near me so unless someone can recommend somewhere I would rather he was done at the vets.

Did Dandelion and Buttercup go to live with Kelly? I did her homecheck when she was thinking of adopting from Jill.

I agree, the brushing is very uncomfortable for them. I used to sit and tease matts out of her for ages. Yeah, thats the lady who she went to, with the male bunny, Oscar? She doesnt post on here very often though.

You could call round grooming places but i would ask to stay with him. You dont know how they will get treated, someone on here had a bad experience when their bun went to a grooming place :( Cant remember user name though :?

Vets may be the best idea if he doesnt need doing often xXx

I agree, the brushing is very uncomfortable for them. I used to sit and tease matts out of her for ages. Yeah, thats the lady who she went to, with the male bunny, Oscar? She doesnt post on here very often though.

You could call round grooming places but i would ask to stay with him. You dont know how they will get treated, someone on here had a bad experience when their bun went to a grooming place :( Cant remember user name though :?

Vets may be the best idea if he doesnt need doing often xXx

Thanks. I think I will get the vets to do it for the first time and then look around if its expensive or he needs it doing often.

Yeh she had a male bunny Oscar, I wonder how they all are.

Toffee is a long haired bun, and he's constantly getting hay tangled in his fur. I cut out matts occasionally (he suprisingly rarely gets them) and trim around fur from his face so that he can see.

Just to add poor Bungle isn't just long haired..he is a bun that should never have been bred:(
His face is shaped as if he's been hit with a shovel..hence the need for dentals
and his fur is so fine and straggly it knots as soon as you look at it.
It is impossible to brush the knots out so why I suggested shaving him to give his poor skin a break from being pulled
Rachael has been wonderful in taking this special needs boy on and I hope she can find a way to solve his problems

Just to add poor Bungle isn't just long haired..he is a bun that should never have been bred:(
His face is shaped as if he's been hit with a shovel..hence the need for dentals
and his fur is so fine and straggly it knots as soon as you look at it.
It is impossible to brush the knots out so why I suggested shaving him to give his poor skin a break from being pulled
Rachael has been wonderful in taking this special needs boy on and I hope she can find a way to solve his problems

I'm sorry...but that bit made me laugh :oops:
Poor bungle, I would see about getting him done at the vets, or maybe there is a local mobile grooming person in you area that might be able to help :wave:

Back