• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inspiration for housing, please!

moss

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

Hoping to have my bunnies bonded soon, so I need to get something big enough for them to live in together. One is a mini lop, and one is a dwarf lop. I don't have a big enough kitchen to keep them in, and I'm living in a rented house, so have to be very careful with carpets, door frames etc, as they love to chew them, despite having chew toys!

Just saw the thread created by fionik saying about this pen
, but how would you be able to adapt it with a puppy pen? And is it an affordable option?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :D

I've got a dog crate with attached puppy pen for my pair. It is a drop pin pen so I just drop the pins into the side of the crate and make it any size I want to.

Do you have any pics? I did try looking at the indoor pen on the sticky at the top of the page, but it looks like the photos have been removed!

I just need to work out sizes and neatness and such! :)

Image086.jpg

Image085.jpg

GEDC0267.jpg

The piccies aren't great as I can't get the whole thing in the piccie and it doesn't show the size also I have turned the crate round the door isn't an obstable now.

Awwww how cute, I love the pink cage.... my other half would never let me have that though! Having a kettle which changed colour as it got hotter was pushing it, as it had the colour pink! :lol:

Your bunnies are very cute! :love:

If you dont have the drop-pin option, you could attach the pen with bulldog clips (strong ones) or cable ties (but you'll need replacements and it may depend on how chewy your rabbits are).

They are definitely chewers.... the naughty little munchkins! :)

Any ideas for what to use as a base? I have no laminate flooring/tiles, it's all carpet, so there's no way I'd be able to have nothing on the bottom.

Probably some kind of tarp is the best idea, then something more comfortable like a mat on top of that.

My indoor bunny is just in a puppy pen at the moment :) Hes only a baby and its big enough for him :) I used to use a dog crate and think the puppy pen alone is so much better :)

As for the flooring, are they litter trained? Scamp has a piece of carpet ontop of our actual lounge carpet :) Will try and get pics for you tomorrow :) xXx

They are both litter trained, so I suppose that's a positive! Would love to see the pics, Becky!

Tim, what is tarp? :oops:

A Tarpaulin, a big sheet of plastic you buy from B&Q, Wickes or Wilkinson (probably). It would protect the carpet underneath from any wee or anything seeping through :)

:wave:We also rent so I bought some lino and put down for my buns:) I have tried tarps and even the foam squares but I find lino the easiest to clean and it doesn't move around like the tarp did. You can get 2m x 2m pieces at B&Q for less than 30 pounds. They fit perfectly under a puppy pen:D

Hi Bunmom, do they live straight on the lino, or do they have something on top? I've just measured up, and I have 70" x 42" (Just under 6' x 3'5") to play with. Am thinking of putting down the lino, then persuading my dad to make me a cage with the mesh he has. It would definitely need to be covered though - Bunny did the biggest binky I have EVER seen her do today, she must have jumped over 4 feet straight up! :lol:

Back