• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Less enthusiasm for food?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Straaaange sort of question here. :?

When Jack first started living here after being caught, he was so, SO enthusiastic for any food offered to him - except grass, which was odd as he'd been living on that when living the wild life of a stray for two weeks, but grass doesn't look its most tasty at this time of yeah.

He's become extremely hormonal these past couple of weeks and spends all his time running about honking away, circling and trying to hump my arm or a teddy. :roll: He's also become less enthused over food. I don't know if this is because he's now got a one track mind - he seems very, very easily distracted and seems to 'forget' whatever he is eating. He will barely touch any hay at the moment, which worries me. Got a delivery tomorrow from the Hay Experts with their sample pack of different hays.

He's going to be neutered next week, and his teeth will be checked then as they were unable to look today. He was very nervous and jumpy.

Could crazy hormones have an impact on his appetite? He doesn't NOT eat - except for hay, which he picks at but won't eat in the same quanitity he did originally - and eats a bowl of pellets, plus his veggies in the morning. He's not wasting away or losing weight, it's just as if food isn't something he gets giddy over anymore.

It does sound suspicious of teeth problems so it's great that he's going to get them checked at neutering. I wouldn't totally rule out the 'one track mind' theory though :)

Last edited:
He's so tricksy. He'll eat hay when I first give it him and he knows I am watching. Then he ignores it. Sometimes for a few days, and lets a pile of it sit there, before randomly eating it all. With his breakfast he'll practically inhale broccoli, or a chunk of carrot - but leaves anything leafy to one side, seems to 'remember' it is there a few hours later when pointed out to him, and eats it then. :?

He honestly wasn't like this before he became a little sex pest. One night he suddenly discovered he could hump things, looked shocked at himself, and has been obsessive over my arms ever since. From that point on he's been less giddy over food.

He shows no reluctance to eat when eating, he just isn't as eager to eat everything offered to him. I know he could be hinding any dental problems very well, but there are no obvious signs of this. Really hope he hasn't got toothy problems. :( He's only a few months old.

He's so tricksy. He'll eat hay when I first give it him and he knows I am watching. Then he ignores it. Sometimes for a few days, and lets a pile of it sit there, before randomly eating it all. With his breakfast he'll practically inhale broccoli, or a chunk of carrot - but leaves anything leafy to one side, seems to 'remember' it is there a few hours later when pointed out to him, and eats it then. :?

He honestly wasn't like this before he became a little sex pest. One night he suddenly discovered he could hump things, looked shocked at himself, and has been obsessive over my arms ever since. From that point on he's been less giddy over food.

He shows no reluctance to eat when eating, he just isn't as eager to eat everything offered to him. I know he could be hinding any dental problems very well, but there are no obvious signs of this. Really hope he hasn't got toothy problems. :( He's only a few months old.

i think hormones have alot to do with this! but the neuter is a good oppertunity to check teeth too i woudlnt worry xxx

Back