• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor wee brown bunnies

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
There are 2 pet shops in the town where I live, a couple of doors away from each other, and each one has a brown bunny just now that no-one wants!! The first is a wee boy agouti about 4 months old, not sure what type but he's quite wee with sticky-up ears (much bigger than a nethie though). I spoke to the woman in the shop and she said that he had been left because nobody liked his colour.. Has anyone heard of agouti/brown bunnies being less popular?? I wouldn't have thought too much about it, even though the wee thing is so good-natured and has the most adorable face, but the other pet shop also has a 3.5 month old buck lionhead who has also been left behind because he's agouti! He is the fluffiest, cutest bunny ever (apart from my own two, of course) - and I just can't believe he hasn't been taken, but on talking to that shop's owner, it's for the same reason....
I really didn't think that colour was much of a factor for consumers to be honest, I've always ended up with a bunny because of personality.. I have a red eyed white and a black otter, which are unusual colours, but totally by-the-by in my opinion... Now I feel I should hit the nearest rescue and rehome all the brown buns!!!

I always loved brown ones! They remind me of wild rabbits and hares. I think they may be getting a bit more poular as well. I have noticed recently that pet shops are stoking them and I can honestly say I never saw them in shops around here until recently. I'm sure they won't be there for too long. Unfortunately we cant have them all :(

*whishes for lottery win to buy house with giant field size garden to home all unwanted fury things*

yep
normally the plain agouti up eared are hardest to home followed by plain black
Some rescues have probs homing REWS but we don't
very sad:(

Yep, i had my Ronnie because he was too old to sell, no one had him as hes agouti :( We normally have problems rehoming plain black bunnies and REWs :( xXx

I absolutely :love: bunnies like Ronnie. I love his wild look awww I've been eyeing one up whos similar for ages. Asked about it but decided against because of time, space, my existing waring and due for spaying buns, my other ten million animals lol.

That's a shame!

I've never had a problem homing agouti bunnies, but then I haven't had very many come thought our doors.

I find that people always want the one bunny that looks different--so if you have loads of black bunnies, they'll want the white one, or if you have loads of white ones, they'll want the black one.

That said, I think we struggle most with homing Pink Eyed Whites. :(

I can't believe people have trouble rehoming REWs, they're adorable! But maybe that's just my experience with Nermal. I have a theory that we're drawn to pets that are a bit like ourselves - Nermal is short-sighted, pale, chubby, laid back and friendly - just like me!!!!

I'm avoiding the pet shops at the moment with the lovely wee brown bunnies, it breaks my heart! Am sending other people in to get me hay...

*whishes for lottery win to buy house with giant field size garden to home all unwanted fury things*[/QUOTE]

Yep you and me are one in this wish :wave:

Sadly, lots of people only seem to want the 'pretty' bunnies and the youngsters. That's why I had Pea and Pod (agouti) and Flora and Parsnip (elderly). I always tend to go for the ones no-one else wants :D

Agouti coloured bunnies are beautiful I have one called Tia :)
How can people not like them, it's so sad :(

My Beautiful Agouti girl.
23-4-09008-1.jpg

How sad:(

Have to admit we went to PAH to prepare for our new bunnies (at the time we hadnt picked any and actually planned to go to rspca), thats when we spyed Leon and fell in love with him. There was six other buns in with him but he was the only agouti bun there. He stood out from the rest of them but not just because of his colour, he looked so cheeky and happy.
So the next day we went back to buy more things and there was only 4 buns left but he was still there. He leaned up against the pen to say hello to us:) As our set up wasnt ready yet I pleaded with the sales manager to keep him for me until the next day but she said she couldnt do that :(
So the next day (Monday) as we finished work we were going to get him, I was sick with worry all day that he wouldnt be there but he was :shock: Only him and Sammy left.

I'm so glad we got him but I still cant believe nobody wanted him, he is so beautiful and cheeky:)

Back