• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ralph has dried blood on his paws

Candiflare

Mama Doe
On his back paws at the bottom are faint rings of dried blood from last night. He hasn't get any obvious injuries, is there anywhere I should be looking that would cause blood on the bottom of his feet?

Each morning there is a bit of ruby's fur in the hutch (ralph is the dominant one and a strong disciplinarian) but never enough to cause alarm. Could it be from Ruby?

Are there any signs of her having been scratched by him? I take it that there's no blood on the bottom of the living area anywhere.

It may be sore hocks. Is it under his paws? Wesley had sore hocks and you say he is like a rex and it is quite common rexes.

I will check his hocks, that's a good idea, but it's Buzz who is the one that is rex-like. Ralph is a fluff-laden chubby lionhead. Ruby's just had her spay and it crossed my mind that it could be blood from her wound but it looks clean. She also has no scratches on her body. Hmmm... I will check the hutch for blood marks.

I will check his hocks, that's a good idea, but it's Buzz who is the one that is rex-like. Ralph is a fluff-laden chubby lionhead. Ruby's just had her spay and it crossed my mind that it could be blood from her wound but it looks clean. She also has no scratches on her body. Hmmm... I will check the hutch for blood marks.

Sorry was getting confused. Probably not sore hocks then :? Are you sure it is blood and not wee that is dark and he's stood in it. Don't know what else to suggest.

I found a few spots of blood on the towel that I put on the bottom of our hutch a week or so ago. It had soaked through from the fleece I put on top of it, so the only way I noticed it was when I lifted the fleece up one morning when cleaning the hutch. After much bunny inspecting and general worrying, I worked out that Timmy had caught one of his claws either against the mesh in the run (sometimes he kicks his back feet out and you can hear them knocking against it) or in a tiny hole in the fleece itself. He had chipped a bit of the nail off down to the quick. He's fine, but I do feel guilty I didn't spot it when it happened, must have been when I was at work :(

Just wondered if Ruby or Ralph could have done something similar?

That's really interesting Debs as I think I noticed one of his claws looked black the other day... I think when I saw it on passing I thought it was self explanatory as he does have a mixture of dark and light patches. I'll go and check...

Back