• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pen with or without cover & base?

fionik

Young Bun
Hello, me again I'm afraid :D

On the advice of several of you, I cancelled my order for a tower cage for my rabbit-in-waiting and have been convinced to get a dog crate and puppy pen instead... hooray!

I'm just looking at all the different crates and pens and I just wanted to ask if people thought there was much advantage to getting a pen with a base and net? Like this: http://www.deemillen.co.uk/product_...d=821&osCsid=0771874213eab02a0f9ebdc1db8e54b8

I'm thinking this might protect the carpet, but might be a bit slip-slidey for bun and maybe not look particularly cosy? The net over the top would presumably ensure he cannot jump out and might be suitable for using in the garden (whilst supervised) in the summer?

Or should i just get the pen on its own?

Thanks for any thoughts!

personally i use an offcut of carpet, it cost £7 from a carpet shop and for the top i clip plastic mesh from homebase it was about £1.50 for a huge amount.

that way the cage can be any size and shape :D

personally i use an offcut of carpet, it cost £7 from a carpet shop and for the top i clip plastic mesh from homebase it was about £1.50 for a huge amount.

that way the cage can be any size and shape :D

good point :) I hadn't thought about the fact that I might want to change the shape. and £1.50 from homebase sounds much cheaper!!
thankyoo

oh and i didnt like the dog crates i tried either... i got two of the pets at home pens (29.99 each) and a box of them self build cubes from b&q and a load of tie wraps and created my own cage collapsable for travel and easier to hoover too... like so :D

P80200302.jpg

they are too heavy and bulky for travel or even just moving about was my main gripe. to allow access to the pen without losing space i had to take the door off which broke the hinges :oops: on the two crates i tried.. i also found the small opening at the front gave me grief when trying to clean up.. the upside Alvin loved the metal tray, he would push everything out of the way to lie in it.. now he lies in the food bowl :lol::lol:
i was a little paranoid about little legs jumping in and out of the crate too :oops:

me and the crate just didnt get on at all :oops:

the way i have the cage now is much more open plan and they seem to like thier space :)

Back