• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just thought I'd update on my bunny crew :)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Well, its been about a month since I said anything of any relevance here, and thought maybe a good thing to do would be to update a bit, especially since we've just done the 6 monthly myxi mission and all buns bar one have been seen by the vet.

First off, my foster became yet another fail (yes, the 5th one). Baby is now mine for good (mainly due to my parents gentle encouragement). I love this chap so so much :D He was always a pickle but the day I came back and told him he was mine he went bonkers and has been worse. I think he was on his 'best' behaviour?

He's also become a kamikaze bunny and just has problem after problem after problem. Unfortunately, one of those has led to him having to be indoors. On 31st Dec he hurt his leg (not a break thankfully), but I had to immobilise him to help it heal which meant he had to come into the porch (and obviously he couldn't be outside because of the risk of shock). Now his situation is not great because he is fully better but can't go bakc outside yet, so during the day he lives in the living room, but overnight hes in a rubbish small hutch but there are no other options unfortunately. He has shown he can't be trusted by himself out of his hutch.

He is just the loveliest though :D

Rosie was the bunny who came to me with the spinal injury. She is now firmly bonded with Badger and the pair are marvellous together. Her injury has healed so well and next week I'm going to have the next try at reducing her pain medication. She's such a hilarity. Unfortunately, she gets anxious aout Badger when he sleeps and has to check hge is alive. I think this must be a remnant of something that has traumared her in the past, maybe where she has been with a dead partner or a very ill partner.

None of the bunnies need a dental right now, which is great :D Some have teeth to watch, but others are doing super well, which is chuffing.

This is the best bit though :)

I lost my Tilly before Christmas. She had head tilt and after talking to my vet we tried Convenia with her and that was the first time he had used it. Since then, he has been using it on other rabbits to good effect, and I feel like each Convenia injection he gives to a rabbit, he keeps Tilly's memory alive.

This was the tribute video I made for her :) It's 4.32 long, but its my tribute to her and its fitting, I think. I'm still deciding what to do for her lonely former wildie boyfriend Roger, but he's poddling on okish for now.

Here's her video. Tilly's True Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBTwHDwZC5s

Fabulous.Mrs Bun has that "stain" across her back too.The darker fur.what is it exactly??
How are you now Sky-o?? Nice to see you on here after a while.xx

Oh, from the video? That's a moult line. The darker fur is the new fur, the lighter fur is the sun bleached fur that is moutling out. Is that what you mean?

Oh, from the video? That's a moult line. The darker fur is the new fur, the lighter fur is the sun bleached fur that is moutling out. Is that what you mean?

Yes..I believe so_Often wondered what it was......:roll:

Unfortunately, she gets anxious aout Badger when he sleeps and has to check hge is alive. I think this must be a remnant of something that has traumared her in the past, maybe where she has been with a dead partner or a very ill partner.

Oh that's really sad. It really makes you wonder what awful experiences some rescue animals have had. Shows just what sensitive creatures bunnies are, too.

I lost my Tilly before Christmas. She had head tilt and after talking to my vet we tried Convenia with her and that was the first time he had used it. Since then, he has been using it on other rabbits to good effect, and I feel like each Convenia injection he gives to a rabbit, he keeps Tilly's memory alive.

Wow, that's brilliant, such a great legacy! Can I ask what Convenia is?:oops:

Yeh, Rosie is quite a sad rabbit when you look at some of her behaviour, but yet she is so happy.

Convenia is an anti-biotic. It's another one that is not licensed for use in rabbits but can be used, if used carefully and with the right backup (such as probiotics).

Hi Tracy, nice to hear about all your bunnies again - I miss the Christmas sig though, maybe you could make a different one for each season featuring all your buns ;)

I'm glad Badger and Rosie are getting on well, it's interesting about her worrying when he sleeps though - I guess bunnies must have much, much longer memories than a lot of people think. :(

*goes to watch Tilly's video*

Thanks guys :)

I agree clutterydrawer, some of the things I see my bunnies do make it clear that they have some sort of very long term memory, even if it has changed for conscious memory to more of an instinct.

Candyfloss came here 2nd July 2008 and has always been petrified of other bunnies and it leads her to have behavioural problems. She currenrtly has a lovely boyfriend, but any time he smells slightly different she fights him, and this seems to be some sort of throw back to before she came, and when she was a stray. She's divorced three bunnies in the 18 months she has been here, and I've had to repair her and Dusk several times. Whatever started her anxiety about other bunnies has stayed with her, although she probably doesn't actually remember it anymore, its just now instinct.

It's a shame they can't leave those things behind.

Back