• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Blossom growling?

Sami M

Mama Doe
Hiya:wave: Just a quick question, Blossom has always been nervous but has started taking treats off us, but recently when the OH goes near her she makes a growling noise, there is no sign of aggresion but just wondering how we can get her to stop?

How does he approach her? He might need to lower his head when he goes to her so she knows he isn't a threat.

If Biscuit has something nice she will growl at me, she is possessive about food. :roll:

Hiya:wave: Just a quick question, Blossom has always been nervous but has started taking treats off us, but recently when the OH goes near her she makes a growling noise, there is no sign of aggresion but just wondering how we can get her to stop?

:wave: Growling? I haven't heard a growl personally I don't think from a rabbit, if there is no aggression with it why are you assuming it's hostile rather than friendly ?

:wave: Growling? I haven't heard a growl personally I don't think from a rabbit, if there is no aggression with it why are you assuming it's hostile rather than friendly ?

If that is a friendly noise then its a bit off putting bless her she is very sweet and not very sociable with humans any others ideas for getting her more confident?

If that is a friendly noise then its a bit off putting bless her she is very sweet and not very sociable with humans any others ideas for getting her more confident?

:lol::lol: I would just be inclined to sit on the floor and wait for her to come to you, I wouldn't invade her space either let her come out of it first. I think with nervous bunnies it is important to let them see your hand ie, to the side first maybe rub her cheek first and then her nose and head. I think they will sense any 'fear or nervousness' and it will mimick it but, it comes across as hostile. It is bravado or a show more than a wilful need to be aggressive I think. Assuming of course no underlying health problems making her grouchy. Is she spayed? I know hormones play a big part, bit like us hooomin women :lol::lol:

Shes booked in for her spay but I know it sounds silly but i dont know how we are going to get her there! She wont let us touch her to put her in the box and she will go mad when we get to the vets

I know this doesnt help you solve the problem, but Lottie was like this before she was speyed :) She still does growl/lunge sometimes. One of the foster bunnies we have in, Felicity, used to growl/lunge too but since her spey she has stopped it :) xXx

Oh I see you mean the grunty sound, sorry I am thinking more a how a dog growls - yes I would just get her used to your voice and communicate with her, pick a sound which you are going to use to show disapproval eg, say to her a a a and then reasurre her it's OK. You might be surprised if you load up the carrier with lots of yummy hay and maybe one of her favorite treats, put it on the floor and pretend to be walking away not looking at her she might investigate, also I thought my doe might be a bit bolshy when examined but, the first time she was terrified so I even got a cuddle the second time she was a bit more assertive and thumped but, she wasn't aggressive. I am sure it will be fine. Lots of interaction and hand feeding will help while sitting on the floor with her. x

Back