• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bum Sensitive

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Both of my buns are very bum sensitive. If I touch near their tails, they get very offended! :shock:

When my two buns lived together, all their fights seemed to start when one nudged the other in the bum. The other would get fed up with it, turn around, and a fight would ensue.

It's made it hard for me to pick either of them up, because my method is to scoop the chest with one hand, and scoop under the bum with the other. (And they absolutely hate being picked up anyways :roll:)

Why are they so sensitive in that area? And how can I desensitize them so I can pick them up? (Or what's a better way to lift them?)

I would think that most attacks are from behind, so it's a natural thing. Instinct is to protect your reproductive area, hence dogs putting their tails between their legs.

Maybe when you stroke, let your hand trail to the bum, and start a new stroke before they can bolt. They ought to get used to it that way.

Ruby hates her bum being touched too.
She has some little tufts of hair still there from her last moult that refuse to budge, but I can't pull them out because she bolts as soon as I try :roll:
To pick her up I put a hand under her chest and front legs and then sorta put my other arm lengthwise with her body so her back end is still supported. It's hard to explain but I've had to adapt it from my picking up Pipkin method which is like you described.

Back