• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!! My Rabbit died and i dont know why!

melb1986

New Kit
Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me explain the sudden death of my rabbit. He was only a year and a half old.

I noticed he wasnt himself a couple of days ago then the next morning i went out to find him dead. I noticed a fistful size about of blood and then a few specs here and there around his cage. He had blood dried up around his mouth and nose. No other animals could have got to him as his cage is really secure. I just dont understand what went wrong.

I have another rabbit in a seperate cage and am now worried she will die too. Has anyone had anything similar happen with there bunny or could they explain why he died?
Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks mel x

Poor bunny :(

I think you need to take him to the vet and get a post mortem done, you need to know what killed him incase it will affect your girl too. I would take her to the vet for a checkup too.

It could be VHD, or it could be poisoning of some kind. :?

the OP said a couple of days ago the bun wasn't himself, then the next day he passed away. he should have seen a vet as soon as he wasn't being himself but unfortunately it is too late now. do post mortems have to be done within 24hours? sounds like it has been longer than this.

it does sound like vhd to me aswell.

sorry for your loss. sleep tight little bun. xxx

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear you lost him. I agree with the others it sounds like VHD but unfortunatly I'm no expert.

I'm really sorry to read about your bunny.
Viral haemorrhagic disease was my first thought too, but other possiblities would be a ruptured blood vessel or embolism. I assume also their is no possibily he was injured by another animal?
A post mortem might be able to give you an answer but it doesn't always xx

Thanks all for your well wishes.. He wasnt himself the evening before, but i didnt really think too much of it, coz he was quite moody lol. I didnt think he was going to pass away! I just thought he was in one of his grumps! unfortunetly this happened on saturday so i think its too late for a post mortem!
My other rabbit has been vaccinted so im hoping the same thing doesnt happen. Thanks all xx

Back