• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oreos weight, concerned now - pics added post 7 - what do you think?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi, I didnt want to hijack Cherrys thread but I was a little concerned that Oreo seemed skinny compared to Sooty - even more evident now they are bonded and together.. I have been reading Bisc's threads as well and wondering..

I really noticed when I had to seperate Charlie and Oreo after their little scrap. I gathered as long as he was eating he was ok :oops: - he eats fine, poops like a trooper - and has loads of energy.. hmmm

Hes a dwarf lop - 8 months old and 1.81kg :?
He hasnt lost weight, but does seem boney - last time I weighed him was before christmas..

Any advice - How does the weight seem?? Am i worrying over nothing..

Last edited:
matt has always been bigger than bisc, right from being babies so it may be nothing. just make sure sooty isn't eating quicker than oreo and therefore leaving him with less food. some seem naturally more lean than others. matt is chunky and round, bisc has always been more athletic and slender.

from what you say about having lots of energy and still eating and pooping, i think oreo sounds ok.

if you are worried, weigh more often and look for any big changes in weight. obv if you don't think things seem quite right, get to the vets to check him over, his teeth etc.

could oreo have lost a bit of weight from the stress of the scrap??

matt has always been bigger than bisc, right from being babies so it may be nothing. just make sure sooty isn't eating quicker than oreo and therefore leaving him with less food. some seem naturally more lean than others. matt is chunky and round, bisc has always been more athletic and slender.

from what you say about having lots of energy and still eating and pooping, i think oreo sounds ok.

if you are worried, weigh more often and look for any big changes in weight. obv if you don't think things seem quite right, get to the vets to check him over, his teeth etc.

could oreo have lost a bit of weight from the stress of the scrap??

No I found he was skinny when I spilt them up - he hasnt lost weight since - Maybe I just need to keep an eye on him - as you say and try and weigh him a bit more - really tricky to get him to stand still. Sooty is 2.26kg.
Will he still be growing at 8 months old?? There just seems to be such a difference!
There is no problem with food - Oreo is the pig out of the two of them - he whips food out of sootys mouth!! (and she lets him! :roll:).

[/B]

No I found he was skinny when I spilt them up - he hasnt lost weight since - Maybe I just need to keep an eye on him - as you say and try and weigh him a bit more - really tricky to get him to stand still. Sooty is 2.26kg.
Will he still be growing at 8 months old?? There just seems to be such a difference!
There is no problem with food - Oreo is the pig out of the two of them - he whips food out of sootys mouth!! (and she lets him! :roll:).

i don;t know when they stop growing. i used to think a year?? could be wrong though.

that is quite a difference isn't it.

doesn't sound like there is an issue yet, but just weigh if he will keep still and keep a record. bisc's weight loss was very gradual and we didn't spot it until one day we just looked at him and he looked so thin. :(

the only thing could be his teeth i guess, but i would think he would indicate some discomfort or you would notice a change in behaviour and eating/drinking.

xx

Darling little Oreo! I hope he's okay...

I have a similar problem, but not to the extent that you do.. Buzz is very thin... no matter how much food I give him (and he eats it all) he doesn't get fatter and stays very boneu. All I can put it down to is undernourishment in his early life, as he was fed guinea pig food while he was growing up and the guineas bullied him and didn't let him touch it :(

maybe hes a small bun tho.. ive just done a search on my past posts and Alvin was 2.1kg at 6 months.. but hes always probably been too big :oops:

This is me

These are pictures of me playing with mummy and Sooty yesterday - Please say mummy has to feed me more greens and pellets :D Sootys doing a runner!!

CIMG1476.jpg

This is the one mummy thinks shows my skinnyness??

CIMG1477.jpg

Mummy says sorry about the inbetween legs shot! :oops:

CIMG1475.jpg

What do you think??

It's hard to tell from a photo but he doesn't look too boney. Looks quite lean with no fat, but that's not a bad thing.

awwwwww what a baby face still :love::love:

dont look boney to me.... (on my limited experience of two bunnies lol)

:wave: Hi Kath, I was worried about Gizmo after his spay in exactly the same way, I could feel his back bone aswell, I think the spay really took it out of him because of the soreness where the injections had been. I have just been feeding him up a little bit extra of his food and a really small bit (teaspoon) size of hobnob every other day and he seems to have gained a bit. He sounds exactly the same build as Oreo, he is 'slender' and athletic but, he was like that before the spay and the vet said he was a really healthy little rabbit. The only difference was I couldn't feel his spine like after the op, he's much better now. I think he is still growing, I can't notice so much myself but, a friend said to me recently 'blimey he's grown' and I was really surprised. As long as he is getting all his share of the food and has been wormed I wouldn't worry too much, maybe a couple of high calorie treats a week might help. x

he doesn't look boney to me, just very lean and athletic. he doesn't have the same look as bisc anyway, with him you can see all the bumps on his spine and when he sits like a hen his spine is stuck up and there are massive dips down to the sides which should be rounded. and he looks thin and ill, rather than slim and healthy.

oreo looks healthy and happy to me. :)

phew im obviously being a paranoid bunneh mummeh :oops:
Its just OH commented the other day too how thin he looked and he NEVER notices anything - so for him to say something made me think! :?

His back is boney and you can feel all along his spine - but I guess Sooty might just be a Big girl! :lol: cos you definetly cant feel her spine!!

Oreo is the more athletic of the 2 - I think I need to get him into jumping or something - hes always on the go.. looking for things to jump on - he can get on the windowsill no probs and that has to be a good 4 ft :shock:
Sooty is more - run about for a minute and flop for 4 hours :love:

athletic is deffo better the podgy.. i got a right stare from the vet once about Alvins weight... if i saw the ****** again tho id punch his lights out.. worries about a few g but cant spot an enlarged heart :evil:

phew im obviously being a paranoid bunneh mummeh :oops:
Its just OH commented the other day too how thin he looked and he NEVER notices anything - so for him to say something made me think! :?

His back is boney and you can feel all along his spine - but I guess Sooty might just be a Big girl! :lol: cos you definetly cant feel her spine!!

Oreo is the more athletic of the 2 - I think I need to get him into jumping or something - hes always on the go.. looking for things to jump on - he can get on the windowsill no probs and that has to be a good 4 ft :shock:
Sooty is more - run about for a minute and flop for 4 hours :love:

:lol::lol::lol: He sounds just like Gizmo, I don't think your paranoid it's natural to compare them, I think it depends possibly aswell how many were in the litter he was in personally. I know Gizmo was tiny compared to his siblings. I know Sooty was the 'runt', she has done really well to be a little bouncy bunster. I do compare him to Ness but, she is a lot older and a different breed too so naturally a bit bigger and more solid. x

Best way to put your mind at rest is to weigh your Buns once a week :D

Three consecutive drops in weight merits a Vet check

Oreo looks fine in the pics :)

Yes I must admit I haven't done that, I am going to get some digital scales and do it aswell I think.:D

its great for piece of mind... sadly im too lazy and never managed to be consistant with the weighins :oops::oops:

:thumb: :thumb:

This is what I do, at least then I can tell if they're losing weight or maintaining. Every so often I get convinced at least one of them is terribly emaciated, when I weigh them and compare with previous results they've always either put a bit on or maintained :lol: So I'm obviously paranoid.

oreo looks ok to me in the pics, he is slim, but that's not a bad thign as long as he doesn't lose more.

I know it's going to be fun trying to get them to keep still, especially Gizmo aka Ninja :roll::lol:

aha but im sneaky... i weigh them in the carrier than take that weight away.... takes Alvin ages to stop fighting the door of the carrier tho :shock: but i win... eventually :lol::lol:

Back