• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ideas why Michelle is such a strange shape?

toffee

Mama Doe
Michelle is a 3yr old Lionhead/Nethie X. She used to be very slim, but after she developed and recovered from pneumonia aged 1 she started to become quite round.

She does not feel fat but looks and feels a bit like a furry football. Her mid-section is large but solid. She does not get smaller if pellets and other high calorie foods are removed/reduced. Her shape does cause problems occasionally with keeping her bottom clean (although she generally does a reasonably good job).

She also has molar spurs on occasion (they need filing about twice a year). The vet told me that gas build up can be a result of teeth problems.

Is it the teeth that could be causing her to be round? Any other ideas as to what the reason could be? Are some rabbits just naturally this shape?

The vet is not concerned by her size. I do not think this is due to overfeeding as her cagemate Piccolo is very slight.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

Well, I guess it's either fat, fluid, gas or infection. Is she well in herself- eating, lively? Is she spayed?

Eta: A pic might help.

My bunny started to become rounder when she was spayed, I have to be careful with her weight now. Can you post any photos of your bun?

Thanks for your replies.

She is spayed. The vet says she has good body condition and is not investigating her size. She is round though! I'll try to get some pics over the next few days.

She is eating very little at the moment because she had her back teeth filed yesterday so I imagine she's still a bit uncomfortable. Normally she doesn't eat a great deal anyway, she eats pellets and veg the same as the other buns but is not a big hay fan (although she does eat some, just not as much as everyone else). She normally eats half her pellets then has a rest for a couple of hours before finishing them off. I think again that's to do with her teeth.

Back