• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 baby bunnies - advice please

Hi All,

Yesterday we have brought home 2 baby bunnies. As far as we know they are both male, they are brothers and approx 3 months old. I am looking for ANY advice that knowledgeable rabbit owners have to give me re feeding, petting, kepping warm etc.

We put them into their hutch overnight last night, they are used to being outside and were so through the cold period over Christmas when they were very young, but they would've had their mummy for warmth.

They have a big hutch with a run underneath but so far they are just snuggling in the "private" room which we have stuffed full of hay.

Just want to do the right thing. The run is also on slabs as our last bunny burrowed out when we were at work which I really don't want to happen again.

All advice welcome, thanks

Hiya:wave:
I think the best thing to do is get them checked by a vet, who will sex them for you and to also get them vaccinated against myxi. Whatever sexes they are I would get them neutered - if they are both male, they will be approaching maturity and will start getting very hormonal which could lead to them fighting.

Have you got a snugglesafe you could perhaps put in at night to give them extra warmth and also put a cover over the hutch to protect them from the elements.

Hello and welcome :wave:

You have been given some good advice by Honeybunney2007 regarding a vet check and extra warmth.

I would add that the most important thing were baby buns and diet are concerned is not to make any sudden changes. Best to find out what they are used to eating and to stick to that exactly for at least a few weeks until they are settled in their new home then make any necessary changes over at least a 2 week period. The optimum diet for any bun is 90% hay and 10% high fibre pellets and veg (introduced very carefully). You will find lists on here of bunny suitable veg. But as said any changes necessary to adopt this optimum diet must be made gradually and not until they are settled.

You could provide some tubes, plastic tubs, cat litter trays and boxes in the run area for interest. Fill the boxes and tubs with hay. Keep the run area dry by covering the top with corrulux or a sheet of plastic/tarpaulin. You can help insulate the hutch by covering the top, back and sides with blankets/an old duvet and covering that with plastic sheeting, a sheet of plastic dropped down over the front of the hutch on wet days and at night provides protection against the weather - allow some ventilation of course.

Baby buns have especially delicate tums and a change of environment can be enough to upset them. Keep a close eye on their poops, if their are any runny poops or indeep an absence of poops you need to get them both to a vets immediately as such tiny buns can deteriorate extremely quickly.

Hi All,

Yesterday we have brought home 2 baby bunnies. As far as we know they are both male, they are brothers and approx 3 months old. I am looking for ANY advice that knowledgeable rabbit owners have to give me re feeding, petting, kepping warm etc.

We put them into their hutch overnight last night, they are used to being outside and were so through the cold period over Christmas when they were very young, but they would've had their mummy for warmth.

They have a big hutch with a run underneath but so far they are just snuggling in the "private" room which we have stuffed full of hay.

Just want to do the right thing. The run is also on slabs as our last bunny burrowed out when we were at work which I really don't want to happen again.

All advice welcome, thanks

Hiya welcome to the forum :wave:...I find straw a better insulator in the bed area with some hay in...then hay in another part of the hutch for them to munch, you can also litter train your buns, buy an oblong litter tray, with a layer of cat litter WOOD PELLETS and hay on top, (no clay based litter...dangerous for buns) you may see their fav spot where they 'like to go' in their hutch...put the tray in that spot...hopefully they'll get the hang of it :D

:wave: Hope they are doing alright, I agree with all the advice already given, there are lots of idea's for toys and bunny treats and nice yummy hay and things like dried dandelion and plaintain which adds variety sprinkled into the hay on Hayexperts here's the link https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...6+Herbs.36/?osCsid=a0hkiim1380sd4qrif6f9rcen1. In terms of getting to know them, I would take it very slowly, they are probably going to take a couple of days to relax and adjust to their new surroundings and you and your scent, it works well to sit on the floor and let them come to you. Hand feeding greens works well too and you make sure one isn't eating all the goodies, look forward to seeing pics of the little ones when you can :wave:

Lots of great advice here thanks! They seem to be settling in well, we bring them in in the evenings for some play and handing to get them used to the family which they seem to enjoy. They are very cute :love:

Lots of great advice here thanks! They seem to be settling in well, we bring them in in the evenings for some play and handing to get them used to the family which they seem to enjoy. They are very cute :love:

Hi! I am new to buns too (got mine in August). Got some good advice from people at Rabbit Welf are Association about keeping buns warm in winter. Plus the vet told me that damp and draughts are a bigger threat to rabbits than the cold although we have to do our best to keep them as warm out there as they possibly can be. I changed my hutch and run for a sturdier shed like structure made of thick wood (not thin plywood) with a wooden floor in the run, raised up off the ground. In the winter I have them knee deep in straw - not hay as hay tends to flatten and straw is warmer and stays nice and fluffed up. I have also bought a heat pad from Rabbit Welfare Association Fund which I'm waiting for. Also have been advised by everyone I have asked that if they are out - they should stay out and not get too used to indoor heat then out to the cold. I let mine in but keep the kitchen heat off or the back door open.

I'm not pretending to be an expert you understand! Just a rookie passing on the advice that seems to be working for my little guys. Plenty of straw!!!!

As for feeding - mine got sticky bums from too many pellets and too much cabbage and broccoli. The vet has told me not to feed too much of these and not together! Not too much carrot or apple as they are quiet sugary.

Back