• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing a young N. dwarf

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a N. dwarf bunny. It is about 7 weeks old and right now it is living inside in a small cage. I set up a really nice, large hutch outside, which will eventually be his permanent home.

My question is, when would it be a good idea to move him into the hutch? I live in Southern California, so the weather is pretty moderate, it rarely drops below 45 at night.

Is there a temperature threshold that I need to be aware of (if it gets this cold, I should bring him inside?)

I just think he would be much happier in the hutch, it is a really nice little pad.

Thanks for any advice!:wave:

Hi congratulations on your new bunny.

Your bunny will be happy inside or outside, so long as he is acclimatized properly and gradually. It's best not to put a new bunny who has been kept indoors, outside in winter because he needs time to grow a winter coat, for example. It's best to wait until you get some warm spring weather. A healthy, properly acclimatized rabbit can survive temperatures below 5 degree celsius (sorry I don't know what that is in fahrenheit) but a poorly rabbit cannot regulate their body temperature very well so needs to be kept warm. Damp and draughts must be avoided as these are more dangerous than the cold.

If your bunny is going to live outside he will need lots of exercise so a large, secure run attached to his hutch will be needed. He is also likely to be very lonely outside on his own so it's best to have him neutered and then you can get him a neutered girlfriend.

He will need a diet based on lots of hay and/or grass, leafy veg and only very small amounts of commercial rabbit pellets. He doesn't need sugary or starchy treats or mineral stones at all. Apple, pear, willow or hazel branches make great chew toys and will relieve boredom xx

Couple of things I forgot:
1, He will have a very sensitive tummy at his age so avoid making any sudden changes to his diet and introduce veg in tiny amounts, one at a time to make sure he gets used to them.

2, I would look around for a good vet now and get him registered so they can advise you on things like vaccinations and diet. It's better to find a vet you trust before there's a problem.

I would like to see some pics too :wave:

Back