• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please

caziann

New Kit
my rabbit has been sat most of the day in the corner of the room and not moved very much, he has not eaten very much today or poo'd, tried him with small piece of apple earlier which he ate, but not eaten any more, its gone midnight and myself and my daughter dont know what too do, any help appreciated. :(

Will he move around if you encourage him to, have you examined him ie felt his tummy - if its hard I think your looking at the emergency vet. How long exactly since he last pooped and ate and drank?

Okay, what I would do is get him to move very slightly and gently just check he isn't bloated and hard in his tummy. I would gently get him into a warm area for his tummy and put some hay and warm tepid boiled water in a saucer in front of him and see if he will drink it, don't force it but, just see if he will take it. Are his ears cold or warm? You need to be quick on this though as time could be of the essence.

ok, done all this, ears cold, not eating or drinking, what next?

You are going to have to get him to vet asap - I think if he hasn't eaten or drank since this morning or pooped you really have an emergency now. It's critical and you could lose him otherwise, I don't mean to panick you so please don't - stay calm but, explain it to the emergency service and ask them to page the vet he will need to be seen tonight, tomorrow may be too late and you will feel awful. You haven't said whether he moved or whether his tummy is hard and honestly if you've left it this long since this morning it is now critical he see's the vet.

It's difficult on a forum to advise you of anything else, I can't see him or do anything from here and in all honesty I'm not prepared to recommend anything else that may cause more harm to him if he is obstructed/impacted. Please ring the vet.

Are you still online? Please don't delay on this, it's been a long time according to what you have said and the best course of action is the emergency vet if you want to do the right thing for your animal, don't leave it any longer. I have to go now, I hope he will be alright. Don't delay any longer. x

i agree a vet is needed now if hasn't eaten or had a drink since this morning. the vet will need to check for a blockage. this is important as it can do more damage if you syringe feed and there is a blockage.

make sure the vets give you pain relief to bring home aswell - metacam. inisist on this as if your bun is in pain, he will not eat.

the usual treatment will be something to get the gut moving again. i have metacam, maxolon and zantac at home for situations like this. but you have to be sure there is no obstruction before giving these.

if he has not pooped there may be a blockage so i would get to the vets asap.

try not to worry, but this can be serious and tomorrow may be too late. it does happen unfortunately.

good luck xx

Thanks victoria, just about to go off to pet medics when he started to drink, then he had some pellets and definately livened up, rang the vet who said this will probably get things moving again, will get him checked over tomorrow anyway, tepid water and feeding him by hand deinately worked, can't thank you enough. :D

Thanks victoria, just about to go off to pet medics when he started to drink, then he had some pellets and definately livened up, rang the vet who said this will probably get things moving again, will get him checked over tomorrow anyway, tepid water and feeding him by hand deinately worked, can't thank you enough. :D

Awww no need to thank me I am so pleased to hear that, I hope he is OK today. I really wouldn't advise leaving him if he does this again, 4 hours max hunching or not eating/pooping and the alarm bells really should start to ring if it is out of character and routine, well done for getting vets advice. At least you know what to look for if it ever happens again and hopefully the vets have maybe given you some advice how to spot the difference between obstruction and bloat. Well done hope he is alright today x

Back