• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I 'spot checked' a pet shop yesterday...

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
I was invited by a member of staff to see their procedures and I visited every part of the shop (including 'out back')

I went in with an open mind and, for some parts, they were better than I thought they would be. This is what I saw (not all bad!):

- They sell Rabbits, piggies, hamsters, degus, rats, fish and chinchillas
- They had a quarantene and isolation room
- The staff were not aware of neutering rabbits
- The staff's knowledge on vaccinations was very poor - they didn't know how often and their literature they give to clients does not explain them.
- They are not allowed to refuse a sale if someone wants to buy a guinea pig to live alone
- They do not have procedures for minimum cage requirements for owners (i.s. the RSPCA states 6ftx2ft etc) - the staff are just expected to "use their initiative!"
- They use wood shavings for all animals
- The rabbits and guinea pigs hardly had any hay
- They do not have strong procedure in place for when an animal needs to se a vet except that if an animal has been in the quarentene room for more than 2 days, it should go to the vet!
- They do not allow rabbits and guinea pigs to be sold together and will refuse a sale.

The staff member who showed me round was lovely and seemed really eager to do the right thing. I also met the deputy manager who also seemed really keen to do the right thing by the animals. However, their knowledge was very poor. They also admitted that many of the staff are just part time teenagers who just want to make some money.

It was a very interesting insight I must say!

That's good they invited you and obviously 'open' to your thoughts, will they be having a team meeting regarding the lack of knowledge stuff do you think?...:D

Brilliant that you can impart your knowledge on them. Hopefully they'll change their policies and give better information! :D:D

I will be writing a plan of action for them :)

its good you were invited and are able to write an action plan for them,
i just interogate when i go in was pretty much the same answers i got, but its not in my power to write a plan for them,

did they tell you were they get there animals from and thier rules of purchase

Back