• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Shop Cage Minimum Dimensions

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Does anyone know what dimensions Pet Shops have to adhere to for their in store animals? For example, do they have a set square footage for each animal?

Is there any legislation to support this?

Thanks

This is an interesting question... look foward to seeing the replies.

I went to a pet shop today and they had 12 lionhead babies in less than 4ftx2ft :?

This is an interesting question... look foward to seeing the replies.

I went to a pet shop today and they had 12 lionhead babies in less than 4ftx2ft :?

I 'spot checked' a local pet shop yesterday. They were very kind and took me round back to see their quaranteen and isolation rooms but there was a bunny in the isolation room that was in a cage that looked no bigger than 3ft long by 2 ft wide and 1ft tall. She has been there for 2 months apparently. Un-suprisingly, she was overweight! :censored:

I 'spot checked' a local pet shop yesterday. They were very kind and took me round back to see their quaranteen and isolation rooms but there was a bunny in the isolation room that was in a cage that looked no bigger than 3ft long by 2 ft wide and 1ft tall. She has been there for 2 months apparently. Un-suprisingly, she was overweight! :censored:

:shock::shock: Poor bunny :cry: What was wrong with her??

This was taken from the link Jane provided:

All animals must receive appropriate inoculation where required for the species, as advised by the veterinary surgeon. Veterinary advice must be sought whenever necessary.

Does this mean that animals should be given their vaccinations?!

This was taken from the link Jane provided:

All animals must receive appropriate inoculation where required for the species, as advised by the veterinary surgeon. Veterinary advice must be sought whenever necessary.

Does this mean that animals should be given their vaccinations?!

In theory yes but of course we know that rarely happens :roll:

One Branch of P@H (Maidstone) started Myxo Vaccinating last year.

In theory yes but of course we know that rarely happens :roll:

One Branch of P@H (Maidstone) started Myxo Vaccinating last year.

But if the council states it, can people report the pet shop for not doing it?

The pet shop I visited yesterday didn't even know how often rabbits needed vaccinating! :shock:

A local one near us keeps their rabbits in fish tanks - yes fish tanks, they are often mixed with guinea pigs too and numerous calls to the RSPCA not just by myself but I also know by another member here has seen nothing done on over 2 years to stop the suffering these poor animals go through there.

A local one near us keeps their rabbits in fish tanks - yes fish tanks, they are often mixed with guinea pigs too and numerous calls to the RSPCA not just by myself but I also know by another member here has seen nothing done on over 2 years to stop the suffering these poor animals go through there.

Just awful. There is a local indoor market that has a pet shop and they use large fish tanks too, just awful :(

Something needs to be done. I know there is legislation out there but it is not enforced.

And it makes it even more difficult when you report something and nothing gets done!

:cry:

Back