• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you give fresh hay?

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Just wondered really as Timmy and Blossom only seem to eat like troopers when it is strong smelling fresh hay. We give them some everyday but should we be giving fresh stuff at the same time we give them their other food and water (2/3 times a day)??

What does everyone else do?

I give mine some morning and evening, as they definitely tuck in more when it's 'fresh'.

I change my bunnies hay every day. They only eat the long stalky bits and will only eat it when it is fresh so I throw away the old stuff and give them new every morning.

I put in fresh hay every morning, but if i see they are running low by time they go to bed i also top it up then too :)

They get litter trays cleaned everymorning and then fill up with hay,i top up 2-3 times a day,Anything thats left in the morning gets thrown

I give Cassie and Oakley, who are indoors, fresh in the evening and top up in the morning when I am cleaning their litter trays. They get very excited when they have it and jump on it before I can get it in their crate most of the time :lol:

For the foster bun, who is outside, the same as the my indoor pair - they all get treated the same!

Love to seem them get tucked into the hay as it is good for them :love:

fresh litter tray each morning. then new hay at 6pm when i get in, then more hay at bed time.. if i come home at lunch time they get a handful then too.

i have them tiny bale things too that i give when the old one has gone

They get litter trays cleaned everymorning and then fill up with hay,i top up 2-3 times a day,Anything thats left in the morning gets thrown

it makes me laugh sometimes when they are chewing hay and you can hear there poop hit the floor :lol::oops:

4 times a day

:shock: How on earth do you ever manage to go to work, or to the shops? With the amount of bunnies you have it'd be like painting the Forth Bridge, you'd have to start again straight away as soon as you finished! :lol:

I manage to top mine up in the morning with breakfast, and in the evening when I clean them out.

We do ours 2/3 times a day :) They get fresh hay in their litter trays of a morning. Come 4/5pm they get their hay racks filled with 'nice' hay then when i go to do the bedtime rounds if they look like they need more hay i add more :) xXx

Much the same as Becky - 3 times a day, with breakfast, tea and before 'tuck-in' time at night. There is never any left to throw away although they do waste quite a bit pulling it out of the hay rack and then weeing over it :roll:

Mine get fresh hay three times a day. First thing in the morning before breakfast to encourage hay eating, some more at about 6pm which has Dandelion Delight or some other dried herb stuff mixed in. And then again at bed time :)

Ours get topped up about 3 times a day. They waste quite a lot as they go to the toilet on it (it is the litter tray after all!) but they eat loads too and you can set your watch by the size / quality / quantity of the poos they do :lol::lol::lol:

Deej must get his done about 3 or 4 times a day. As he's an indoor bun and he loves his hay, we just do it whenever we pass by and see that he could do with another handful.

I guess though it must partly depend on the size of the hay racks or portions you put in! :D

Back