• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those with damp sheds....

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
My dad came over yesterday to try to help me sort out one of my sheds that is damp and i think he has cracked it!

Looking at my shed that isn't getting wet he worked out what we done differently. On the shed that is NOT getting wet we tacked the roofing felt along the side edge of the shed.

On the shed that IS getting wet we tucked the roofing felt round and under and tacked it underneath the overhang, this means the water is running down the roof and round under the overhang and then running down the side of the shed, this is why the water is seeping through into the walls.

On the shed that is not getting wet the water runs down the roof and falls straight down from the overhang never touching the wood but falling straight onto the floor.

I hope that all makes sense!

Also dad pulled the lino tiles up from the floor of the wet shed and the floor underneath was soaked all along the exposed side but dry elsewhere. I have wood edging along the exposed side of the shed purley for decoration, this is also soaking up and holding the water and its seeping through the bottom of the shed.
I brought some of this http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/Building-Materials/Flash-Band-10Mx150mm/invt/199616
to put along the bottom of the shed as its totally waterproof.

Hopefully this might help someone else :)

the back of mine is guttered and I have notice the same, that the water runs down the side.

Could you add a waterbutt to your guttering to collect the rain water? thats my next plan. I live on a hill and I have put the exit for the water higher :roll:So I need to swap the exit pipes and add a waterbutt

Its only one wall thats wet i think with mine its probably seeping through the gaps in the wood but cant do anything about it untill its dried out a bit:( Where abouts are you putting that waterproof strip?

Its only one wall thats wet i think with mine its probably seeping through the gaps in the wood but cant do anything about it untill its dried out a bit:( Where abouts are you putting that waterproof strip?

I'm putting it along the bottom, i also got some waterproofing varnish to do the whole shed with when it dries out a bit more.

Back