• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

types of lionheads

Is Ralph (in my siggie) and "single maned" lionhead or a "double maned" lionhead? Or is he even a lionhead at all?

I am waiting for a response on this one too, the local rescue says my Beau (who just has long hair round his ears) is a lionhead, but another rescue lady said if he was a lionhead he would be long-haired all over, kind of like the skirt on a scottie dog. Is that the difference between the two sorts maybe?

Last edited:
Oh Gosh, that's a huge difference between fuzzy and Ralph... Fuzzy looks long haired all over too.

Ralph just has lots of long hair around his head and neck, kind of like an 80's mullet!

I am waiting for a response on this one too, the local rescue says he's a lionhead, but another rescue lady said if he was a lionhead he would be long-haired all over, kind of like the skirt on a scottie dog. Is that the difference between the two sorts maybe?

Can I see a picture of yours?

Oh Gosh, that's a huge difference between fuzzy and Ralph... Fuzzy looks long haired all over too.

Ralph just has lots of long hair around his head and neck, kind of like an 80's mullet!

He was. He was also in a disgusting state when we took him in.Took me 5 days solid to cut his coat off. He was a gorgeous bunny, I really miss him

DSC00385.jpg

My fluffy bundle :love::love::love:

Oh he's GORGEOUS!!! He's deffo more lionhead than Ralph... Has he got long hair?

I'd say he's inbetween single mane and double mane. Like 1 1/2 mane!

Oh he's GORGEOUS!!! He's deffo more lionhead than Ralph... Has he got long hair?

I'd say he's inbetween single mane and double mane. Like 1 1/2 mane!

It's a rubbish picture, doesn't do him justice, he's a total...well if he was a kitten you'd say he was a chocolate box kitten :love::love::love:

I think Timmy is double maned:

IMGP1643.jpg

IMGP1642.jpg

The second one shows it a bit better

Oh he's LOVELY! I love the lionhead look...

But who is more Lionhead, Timmy or Fuzzy? Fuzzy just looks like he has long hair all over and it's very thick, but Timmy and Ralph have long hair in places that is wispy, but their noses and general bodies are covered in normal rabbit hair...

Fuzzums has full on long fur on her face/head then not as much on her body untill you get to her bum and she has a 'skirt' :lol:
thought id share a photo

070809085.jpg

There's a huge difference to what exhibitors, rescues and pet shops class as certain breeds. It seems that all rescues/shops class any rabbit with a mane as a lionhead, even if the rabbit has a mane it does not mean it has any lionhead in it's parentage, I've seen a flemish giant and a cashmere lop produce a maned rabbit.

Here is a show lionhead...
billy%20lionhead%20show.jpg

They have small ears, and should be cobby and well rounded, this is why a few breeders cross them with netherland dwarfs but when you do that you tend to get the single maned babies.

Here is the standard for anyone interested...
RING SIZE C

Type... 25

Mane/Chest... 30

Coat... 25

Colour... 10

Condition... 10

Total 100

1 TYPE Type: The body is to be short, cobby and well rounded, the shoulders and chest broad and well filled. The hindquarters broad, deep and well rounded. Firm to the touch.
Head: The head should be bold, with good width between the eyes. The muzzle should be well developed. The head should be attached to the body with no visible neck.
Legs: Of medium length, not too fine in bone. Stance to be high enough to show full chest and mane.
Ears: Not to exceed 7.5cm(3in) in length. To be an upright open ear, well covered of good substance, but not furnished as an Angora. Ears should be well balanced with head and body.
Eyes: Bold and bright, eyes of whites to be red or blue, in all other colours as per Colour Standard.
2 MANE/CHEST The mane should be between 5-7cm (2-3 ")in length extending to a "V" at the back of the neck, falling into a fringe around the head, with longer fur on the chest to form a bib.
3 COAT The coat to be dense, of medium length, roll back and even all over, often with a finer flank line of slightly longer fur running down the length of the rabbit to tail extending in a line to the groin. Small amount of extended fur around the flanks permissible on under five months exhibits.
4 COLOUR All colours as long as they conform to a recognised colour and pattern. It is important to remember when judging colour on the Lionhead rabbit that the fur of the mane will be the undercolour in that area of the coat.
5 CONDITION The exhibit should be in a perfect health and bodily condition, free from all soiling, particularly on feet, ears and genital parts. Free from knots and mats around the mane. The coat should reflect the overall good health of the exhibit, which should appear alert and vigorous.
FAULTS A Long narrow head, pointed or weak muzzle. Narrow or long body, chopped off or undercut hindquarters, any specimen that shows raciness. Ears too long. A mane that is thin or sparse in appearance. Excessive fur on flanks.
DISQUALIFICATIONS Malocclusion, lack of mane or chest fur, furnishings on top of ears, wall eye, putty nose, incorrect coloured toenails. Adults over 1.7kg (3lb12oz) in weight.
WEIGHT: 1.36 - 1.70Kkg(3lb- 3lb 12oz

Last edited:
There's a huge difference to what exhibitors, rescues and pet shops class as certain breeds. It seems that all rescues/shops class any rabbit with a mane as a lionhead, even if the rabbit has a mane it does not mean it has any lionhead in it's parentage, I've seen a flemish giant and a cashmere lop produce a maned rabbit.

Here is a show lionhead...
billy%20lionhead%20show.jpg

They have small ears, and should be cobby and well rounded, this is why a few breeders cross them with netherland dwarfs but when you do that you tend to get the single maned babies.

Here is the standard for anyone interested...
RING SIZE C

Type... 25

Mane/Chest... 30

Coat... 25

Colour... 10

Condition... 10

Total 100

1 TYPE Type: The body is to be short, cobby and well rounded, the shoulders and chest broad and well filled. The hindquarters broad, deep and well rounded. Firm to the touch.
Head: The head should be bold, with good width between the eyes. The muzzle should be well developed. The head should be attached to the body with no visible neck.
Legs: Of medium length, not too fine in bone. Stance to be high enough to show full chest and mane.
Ears: Not to exceed 7.5cm(3in) in length. To be an upright open ear, well covered of good substance, but not furnished as an Angora. Ears should be well balanced with head and body.
Eyes: Bold and bright, eyes of whites to be red or blue, in all other colours as per Colour Standard.
2 MANE/CHEST The mane should be between 5-7cm (2-3 ")in length extending to a "V" at the back of the neck, falling into a fringe around the head, with longer fur on the chest to form a bib.
3 COAT The coat to be dense, of medium length, roll back and even all over, often with a finer flank line of slightly longer fur running down the length of the rabbit to tail extending in a line to the groin. Small amount of extended fur around the flanks permissible on under five months exhibits.
4 COLOUR All colours as long as they conform to a recognised colour and pattern. It is important to remember when judging colour on the Lionhead rabbit that the fur of the mane will be the undercolour in that area of the coat.
5 CONDITION The exhibit should be in a perfect health and bodily condition, free from all soiling, particularly on feet, ears and genital parts. Free from knots and mats around the mane. The coat should reflect the overall good health of the exhibit, which should appear alert and vigorous.
FAULTS A Long narrow head, pointed or weak muzzle. Narrow or long body, chopped off or undercut hindquarters, any specimen that shows raciness. Ears too long. A mane that is thin or sparse in appearance. Excessive fur on flanks.
DISQUALIFICATIONS Malocclusion, lack of mane or chest fur, furnishings on top of ears, wall eye, putty nose, incorrect coloured toenails. Adults over 1.7kg (3lb12oz) in weight.
WEIGHT: 1.36 - 1.70Kkg(3lb- 3lb 12oz

That's so interesting thanks for posting! According to that, Ralph is deffo not a Lionhead; not just because he is over 2kg!

Who is your little white bun? Is she the "perfect" lionhead?

That's so interesting thanks for posting! According to that, Ralph is deffo not a Lionhead; not just because he is over 2kg!

Who is your little white bun? Is she the "perfect" lionhead?

Oh the bun's not mine, I just googled lionhead and this was the first decent UK Lionhead I could find :oops:

Back