• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GRRR... am I allowed to be annoyed?!

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Hello :)

I feel the need to get this off my chest as it's really annoying me :( I dont know if I have the right to be so angry, so please tell me if I dont!

Basically, I know a lady who runs a pet shop a few miles away from where I live. She's a lovely lady and looks after all the animals really well, but she was telling me the other day that 12 bunnies were being delivered on Thursday and if I wanted, I could come up and meet them all. I went up the next day and the bunnies were really cute and fluffy (as all bunnies are!)... well I popped up there just now to grab some more food for my buns, and ALL the rabbits had been sold. Because of the nice weather, people had been going into their gardens and deciding to buy pets, more specifically, rabbits. It just angers me that people only buy pets when it suits them... when the rabbits get bigger and need a larger hutch, the novelty for most people wouldve worn off and they'll try and re-home them. Most people don't even give their rabbits enough living space either, they just assume that a hutch is sufficient enough, but in fact, they need a run and lots of stimulation.

But on the other hand, I feel so happy to know that the lovely people on this forum are there for those unwanted pets, but to be honest, people need to realise that pets are for life, and when you buy a pet, it comes with great responsibilities, and if you arent capable of achieving them, then you shouldnt buy a pet. Animals can be bought so easily nowadays, I think there should be some sort've law bought in that ensures a home is checked before an animal is bought, to ensure it has the correct living conditions.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, Ive spent all today with my rabbits in the garden, its been lovely, but it also made me think about all the poor little rabbits who don't get the treatment they deserve :(

The most worrying thing is that if these are young bunnies, they may not survive outside, their coats won't be thick enough to keep them warm, they will probably be housed in tiny hutches with no protection against the elements:(
So yes you do have the right to be annoyed

Last edited:
I don't blame you being annoyed I do hope the novelty does not wear off. A lady in my town advertised her baby rabbits as Christmas presents - you guessed they didn't sell so are now great easter presents :roll:

It's hard not to be annoyed but there's only so much you can do unfortunately.

How about asking the nice lady if she'd get a stock of RWA leaflets in and give them as an 'introductory pack' to people buying rabbits? Plus some insurance leaflets...! I also spoke to my formerly-local pet shop about the Make Mine Chocolate campaign (they probably thought I was mad but they did at least listen ;).)

I can understand why you would be annoyed but I have bought pet shop rabbits in the past and have given them heaps of room, runs, free range and the very best of everthing so I don't think you should tar us all with the same brush

Admittedly, there are many many owners that don't do that but there are a great deal who do that don't necessarily frequent this forum :wave:

My first bun came from a petshop, I didn't know any better, actually so did my second bun, both of which lived indoors in the lap of luxury. Infact, my first bun was Charlie and he lived until he was almost 11 years old. All subsequent bunnies have come from rescues.

I also hate to see bunnies (or any other animals) in pet shops, and always want to 'rescue' them when I do see them but I agree with Doghouse 135, they're not all 'condemmed' and hopefully the bunnies you are worried about have gone to good caring homes.

education is the key. i heard a little of 'make mine chocolate' last year, but nowhere near enough. we need to get into all local papers and free sheets (and that means working out who will advertise with a piece on rabbit care and maybe canvassing...). easter is a good time. contacting primary schools would be a good idea. i can't imagine we'd want to take in bunnies but there might be some good videos around...

Pet shops are loooooads better then they were though!

Pets at Home at least TELL customers that rabbits CANNOT be bought as outside buns over winter. They have a clause in their adoption contract (I don't know but I would assume there is something similar when you buy 'full-price) that states if the bun isn't already spayed you will get it done within the next 6 months. They have a clause that says if you give bunny up you will return it to them and they will def take it etc....

I mean it's not perfect, and obviously there will be customers that think they know better and keep male/female pairs unneuteured, have 'surprise' litters and add to the problem but that's never going to change.

It would be better if they had more knowledgeable staff, but I guess teens are cheaper labour, and to a business that appeals more then waiting for a knowledgable person, who may require higher pay.

Back